Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Shutter -Electrical Issues

Page 1 of 1
I have Electric shutter on some of the windows and when I press the switch to put them them down power to half the house goes away, now I know when they were getting installed lot of wires were taken through the roof . could water have seeped through the roof and damaged the wires and that is the reason for it. should I go up there ( with the main off and torch and check it out ) is it easy enough to fix.
Unless you are an electrician...I'd say don't do it!! Then again if you are an electrician I guess you wouldn't be asking the question? If the shutter is a recent installation it would be under warranty, so call the sparky and get him to come back.

It's not worth mucking around with 240v...you are a long time dead!
Have you had the shutters recently installed? Maybe they are still under warranty so I'd be ringing the installer. If not, ring an electrician just to get his advice. He should ask you a lot of questions to determine the fault and from there he should be able to tell you what you're up for.

When you say power to half the house goes away I assume that a circuit breaker trips out in your meter box, and you can reset it and everything is ok. Do you lose power to the shutters too? If so, it sounds like there is an overload issue. Maybe it only happens when you operate the shutters at the same time that the washing machine, dryer and microwave are all going?

If you are able to reset the circuit breaker and everything is ok after that, I doubt it is caused by water ingress.

You can get up in the roof, with the power off, and check it out but unless you know what you're looking for and you know how to fix whatever may be wrong, the point is rather mute. You will NOT be able to find the fault. In which case heed the advice of HappyCamper!
I have had the shutter for more than 2 years , so out of warranty. No issues so far. we have had heavy rain in the last couple of months hence the question if rain water has something to do with it. when the power go off , nothing works on that side of the house, it started with one shutter . in space of a week it became 2 shutters. have stopped using the shutter, everything else works fine, I guess it not a simple issue of just going up there and flicking a switch, I am not a electrician. guess a call to the electrician is the best, dont want to get fried up in the roof , no one in the house apart from myself can climb up to the roof either.
It sounds like you have an electrical short and although your shutter installation is out of warranty, an electrical installation should last longer than a couple of years. DON'T monkey around with it

Rain shouldn't cause it. I would definitely be contacting your shutter people and telling them what you think of their short-lived electrical work, as the electrical warranty should outlast the shutter warranty

As a shutter owner, Ive found that some of the elcheapo shutter companies use under-powered motors that dont last the distance.
Related
20/07/2023
Electrical

General Discussion

Must be labour only. One of those how long is a piece of wire questions.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum