Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Ryobi Whipper Snipper-Plz Help!!!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

The following problem I encountered with like 4 to 8 weeks after buying the thing...I just bought a Sthil FS85 striaght shaft which looks like a beast and yet to put through its paces...So I thought I would try cleaning a few things on the Ryboi to learn a little...to my amazement I got the thing to go...but still have the following problem:

PROBLEM---engine splutters and cuts out when I engage the choke to Run Mode after unit has warmed up.
I can only use the unit in half choke mode...(sometimes after its been running a while or gets hot...the engine starts to splutter and conk just like using the choke in Run Mode does)

I have cleaned out carby as best I know how...used clean unleaded fuel and air compressor.
Spark Plug appears to be working fine...(Unit starts and runs---just cuts out when I put the choke into run mode after unit has warmed up)
The lines are in good nick!
cleaned out the stone in the fuel tank and put it back in (very tricky job using the same line!!!LOL)

Using fresh batch of 2 stroke 50:1

THE MIX SETTINGS.... HI & LOW.......ARRRRHHHHH GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
My issue here is........HHHmmmm....I have no idea and actually blamed the whole thing F@%&ing up because I messed with them....anyways...I have semi worked it out by the following...actually not sure really

I adjust the white plastic screw on the left side to get the engine to either run smoother or cut out. Turning it to the left mostly all the way seems to work better.
NOTE*...The red plastic one...seems to do NOTHING when I turn it...very frustrating as I am getting a good ear and working between the turning of the white one and adjusting the idle screw to get reasonable results in "Half Choke Mode"...
I was hoping that I could finalize the setting with the damn red screw on the right side to get the thin running in RUN MODE!!!...but NO...not a damn thing happening when I turn that one...I think the red one is the Hi setting.
I know that these screws are said to be touchy...well the white one on the left...I can see how it effects the running of the engine as I turn it slowly and also see a correlation between it and the idle setting...BUT the red screw on the right side does absolutely nothing...has no effect at all whats so ever when I turn it either way at whatever distance or speed of turn??????????? .....should it not be effecting it somehow at all???????

Basically...I have it running...but something is not right and I think it will just start to splutter when it gets hot...will go try it out and come back with the results.
I'll take along my screwdriver to adjust the damn mix settings...as it warms up I will no doubt have to turn the white (LOW?) screw to the left to stabilize things.

I really have no idea...I'm just trying to understand...because I want to be able to fix things myself...willing to learn at any rate.

Thanks...any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I think I covered the main issues??? Sorry if unclear...very dyslexic ...Hmmmm
Well...after about 10 minutes I ended up getting it to work in RUN mode. Must be the clean fuel and what I did to the air stone in the fuel tank? Oh well...I'm not complaining...still would like to know why the red?Hi screw does not seem to change anything when I adjust the mix setting?...will see what happens...going to replace the line feeder and get a new head...would be good to get a metal one to fit!
sounds like popping, are you certain fuel mixture is correct?

my ryobi petrol stuff pop whenever the the fuel mixture is not right. it usually choke after 30 minutes of running, then die on me and won't start until next day.
After buying a Stilh, which I regard as among the best, if not the very best of equipment, why on earth would you bother with Ryobi which is handyman elcheapo junk and only deserving of the rubbish bin?
Uncle Arfur
After buying a Stilh, which I regard as among the best, if not the very best of equipment, why on earth would you bother with Ryobi which is handyman elcheapo junk and only deserving of the rubbish bin?

Exactly this.
Related
18/07/2023
Ryobi wet saw C-125A blade size?

General Discussion

All sorted guys. Just needed to buy a blade with the correct bush. Dunno how to delete this post, can't find any help file. Cheers.

18/05/2023
Help with insurance claim

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, long-time lurker but first time posting. I've bought a house 2 and a bit years ago and last year we had some major water damage on a converted pergola area…

29/05/2023
Concrete Perimeter Help and advice

Paving & Concreting

Yes, unless you are in a low intensity rainfall area or the area is protected from rain. Do you have access to NCC Part 2 or can you download it? I can email you a copy…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum