Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

What Causes My Main Power Switch To Shut Off?

Page 1 of 1
Main power switch in my apartment is shared between me and neighbour. He is connected to my power source and has separate electricity counter. In our apartment's lowest floor about 4 months ago moved in computer and technology specialized shop just for a fact. This shop has 3 satellite antennas on apartment's rooftop and just to mention my neighbour also has 1 satellite antenna. Today our main power switch started jumping down and prior everything was alright. I suspected LCD TV, digital decoder, Printer/Fax and DSL modem to be culprit and tested this but everything was fine when i shut down them all. Also i have Haier fridge that often produces strange sounds, like something is falling in it or gets hit within. I can't test this with fridge because food needs to be preserved in cool environment.

What can be the problem here? What would you suggest?

Thanks.
does the shutoff happen regularly or is it just a once off?

if its regular, do an isolation test with only a couple of things connected until you can narrow down to what may be causing the issue.

If its the fridge its possible that its the defrost cycle causing the issue. I had a fridge that would trip the rcd whenever the defrost cycle ran.
This does not happen very day, but it first happened last week and second time today. First time it happened twice consequently. After first shut off the lever resisted to go up, then i waited and it gone up and after 5 minutes it jumped down again. Today it happened once and lever gone up without resistance. So far each time it happened was afternoon.

If refridgerator is the culprit then what can be done?
Which breaker is switching off btw.

If its the main breaker, then there is too much power being drawn and its more than likely an air con is drawing too much power. an electrician would be needed to determine the cause.

If its the power point breaker, too much power is being drawn. Its unlikely that just the fridge would cause this unless something is shorting. Its more likely caused by several electric heaters being used at the same time.

If its the RCD then there is an earth leak in one of the devices.

If the fridge is tripping the RCD or breaker, unplug it and if its possible to look at any of the electronics, just take a peek and see if you can see any liquid or other that may cause it. If it needs fixing you'd need to call an electrician.

If it happens again, check the power meter and see if it is drawing lots of power. if it is then you've got too much connected.
I live in Israel, so i don't know what kind of breaker i have. I can only tell you that it is white box with several levers - 1st lever shuts off and turns on electricity in all rooms in my apartment, then there are like 6 others which i think belong to each room. The power meter is not integrated into box, it is located near.

I don't have air conditioner or electric heaters. In fact when power breaks happen, only LCD TV, digital decoder, printer/fax, Uninterruptible Power Supply (to which my laptop is connected) and microwave oven are connected to sockets. And only refridgerator and laptop were working when power break happened.
Here in OZ we generally have seperate RCD's for lights and powerpoints so if it is the same there then see if you can see which ones are which as well as isolating devices. A ******* fridge can be a big culprit though
Related
12/04/2024
combining the ceiling fan switch, light switch, dimmer switc

Building A New House

Any electricians here please help. 1) Will the Fan need separate switch to ON/OFF/Speed eventhough it comes with Remote 2) how about…

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum