Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Calling female renovators...

Page 1 of 1
Hello All

I am looking at selling my brand new unit to upgrade to a house with a bigger backyard as I have no yard at the moment. To make the upgrade I am going to have to buy something that will require work. I don't mind working on a house as long as it is stable and no termite damage.

My question though is as I am a 28 yo single female with no renovating experience, how do I teach myself. I haven't even painted a house yet, so my skill levels are very basic, but very eager to learn.

Are their courses to do? Books? Internet?

If you are a male and had no experience how did you learn? Teach yourself?

I am quite excited at the possibilities of doing up a place for myself and I am very aware how much hard work it will be and I am sure I will probably bite off more then I can chew.

I'd love any advice, my brother is fantastic at giving everything a go, but I dont want to rely on him to help me.

Thanks in advance.
Asking here was the first great move I think. Read everything you can get your hands on and ask ask ask. Well that's my little bit of advice anyway. Love to see your progress. Maybe you should start your own thread fitnhealthy so that others on H1 directly help you through your reno?
Check out the free DIY classes at your local Bunnings stores. I found them very useful.
Pity you aren't in Sydney. We just did a full reno. I asked on another forum if anyone was interested in calling around but no-one did. I know I would have been keen if someone made me that offer before our reno.
No better way to learn than by doing. I certainly learned a lot in the last month.
If you know anybody that's painting etc offer to help. Practice makes perfect.
Just letting you know I have sold and bought an older house, which I am now working on mostly the backyard at the moment, but also the insides... It's a steep learning curve, but having a ball.

My new blog is here - http://athomewithkristy.blogspot.com/
Check out a bookshop or library for DIY books. Dymmocks in Sydney CBD have a good range of books that show you how to do everything, floors, rooves, bathrooms, etc.

Could also do an owner builder course to give you some info too.
Ooh how exciting for you, you can do it. Ask for advice when you go to the suppliers to get your stuff, they should be only too happy to help. Read as many books and website information as you can and get yourself a good supply of tools.
I've done my fair share of DIY renovating over the years.
Retaining walls, landscaping, replacing weatherboards, plastering, painting entire houses inside and out, bathrooms, kitchens, flyscreens, wardrobe shelving, phone and tv wiring, even the plumbing
but don't touch any electrical work, leave that to the professionals.
Many sore backs, bruises, blisters and years later I've vowed never to touch another house again. I am now building a small, single storey, low maintenance townhouse. I't's time to put my feet up and have a rest

When you sit back and admire you work it all becomes worthwhile, you will almost burst with pride...I did.
I remember one time my 2 sons in law came over for something while I was up the ladder struggling with some boards and they just stood there and watched me - the lazy buggers. Now if they ever ask me for help Guess what I say
you jsut need to read all you can check out as many online sites. use ebay to get alot of your new items to save! I love property investor mags they have so much information! I am 28 too, my husband and I have 5 investments now and ive been through 4 renos!! and thats in 2.5 years! you need to get lots of quotes search online for best deals and get TOUGH with tradies, they will try to get away with not showing up for days...grrr. ASK lots of questions, you might seem silly but its worth it and talk to everyone and see who they can recommend.

good luck!
ps dont forget to take snacks and drinks becuase you will start demo'ing or painting and wont realize the whole day has passed without eating...it will just burn you out and youll get tired! lol
Loo at Utube too. They are great as you actually watch while they do it.

I learned how to cut cornice correctly by watching a video. Funny- my hubby said he knew how to do it but it turned out wrong. It's now my job to cut ALL the cornice.
fitnhealthy
Hello All

I am looking at selling my brand new unit to upgrade to a house with a bigger backyard as I have no yard at the moment. To make the upgrade I am going to have to buy something that will require work. I don't mind working on a house as long as it is stable and no termite damage.

My question though is as I am a 28 yo single female with no renovating experience, how do I teach myself. I haven't even painted a house yet, so my skill levels are very basic, but very eager to learn.

Are their courses to do? Books? Internet?

If you are a male and had no experience how did you learn? Teach yourself?

I am quite excited at the possibilities of doing up a place for myself and I am very aware how much hard work it will be and I am sure I will probably bite off more then I can chew.

I'd love any advice, my brother is fantastic at giving everything a go, but I dont want to rely on him to help me.

Thanks in advance.

This is really exciting for you!! I too am a female renovator and before I started work on my place I enrolled myself on pretty much every DIY course that was held at Bunnings. I now know how to pave, how to install shelving, fix a leaking tap, paint, basic kitchen design plus much more. I remember watching an episode of The Block many moons ago and one of the couples learnt how to do their cornicing by watching a youtube video so you're not alone!

I also bought a book from Bunnings which was about DIY (sorry I can't recall what it was called) and had information about tools and how to use them.

My biggest tip is spend the time preparing and planning your job before you undertake it. Just remember the six P's! Proper Preparation Prevents *** Poor Performance. Make sure you do your jobs in the right order otherwise it will take so much more time and money. Also make sure you keep your personal tastes out of your reno (since it's for profit). Pick the brains of real estate agents in the area and ask them what buyers are looking for and work out what is the best value for money in terms of return on investment.

Also don't set a budget by guesstimating how much things will cost. Get tradies over to quote and then add 10% to your budget for any contingencies.

Gosh there's so many things I could tell you.. maybe I should write my own book

*2fk*
Great stuff- good on ya!!
Awesome, good on you for getting your hands dirty

There are plenty of books, magazines, seminars and tv shows but nothing

beats getting in there and "doing" the work.

Check out renovating forums is great to get ideas too

Update us with before and after photo's we love them!

Holly
You can get dishearted with so much work so make sure to take 'before' photos to remind yourself of how far you have come.

Are you renovating to sell or live in the house?
I'm renovating to live in it

Fixed my first leaking tap outside the other day, replaced the whole tap, only to have it shooting off and hit the fence.... Wasn't funny at the time, but sounds funny now lol.
Related
3/02/2024
Color Thoughts | Renovators Delight

Finishing Touch

Were struck with: Colorbond Ironstone Grey roof and cream windows. What color should we render and paint the garage door to tone down the cream windows? Farm House, will…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum