Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Squeaky Floorboards

Page 1 of 1
I have floorboards throughout my house, which I love. The only problem is the boards in my son's nursery are incredibly creaky. This makes it very hard to sneak out of his room when we are trying to get him to sleep (9 months old).

Are there any tips or tricks for stopping (or at least minimising) floorboards creaking without having to rip them up?

This is doing my head in!!!
The room that we made the nursery was the same. Unfortunately though, the answer for us was to rip up the carpet and put a thousand screws done in every place it creaked
Thats what happens when glue isnt used
We wanted to change the carpet anyway though.. Sorry
I can't help with the floorboards, but here is what we do with our son (now 12 months) to get him to stay asleep as we sneak out on our squeaky boards.

1. Wait until he goes into deeper sleep before putting him down and going out. In deeper sleep stages he won't wake up from noises. If he's in good shape and ready to sleep this will take no more than 5 minutes.
2. Sometimes he won't go into deep sleep because of discomfort. Teething gel can relieve teething pain long enough to get him to sleep, though he might wake up later when the pain returns. Panadol works for longer but takes longer to take effect. And if it's wind, infacol and burping can get him comfortable enough.
3. Sometimes he's just not ready to sleep. If it's 3 am and I am exhausted then I will take him downstairs (which has been fully baby-proofed) and lie down while he rampages. Eventually he will notice me sleeping and go to sleep next to me when he feels like it. Often he will cry during this, and if he's genuinely scared I will hug him, but usually it's crocodile tears. He is outraged that I would dare sleep at 3 am when he wants to play.

Our daughter (now 4 years) was quite different at that age though. She would keep going even when she was exhausted, often skipping afternoon naps and getting VERY cranky. A bottle of milk was the most effective for her as she would fall asleep from exhaustion while drinking. And the other trigger for her to sleep was when she finally ended up injuring herself because she was so tired she couldn't walk straight. Then she would cry and FINALLY go to sleep
think happy thoughts and learn to fly a la peter pan?

sorry i can't be more help
Assuming the house is on bearers/joists, get someone under the house and check its definately the floorboards and not the floor joists themselves whilst someone is walking on the floor above.
If its the floorboards, where the movement is occuring screw + glue 45x45mm treated pine cleates into the upper corner next to the floor boards and sideways into the joists.
If its the joists themselves glue + screw/bolt a length of 90x45 treated pine to the side of the existing joist to stiffen it up
Whilst waiting to get under the house and provide some treatment as per Dukekamaya's suggestion sprinkle liberally talcum powder over the floor boards above so that it can enter any cracks in the flooring and so provide a sort of dry lubrication to the boards. Will silence them for a while.
Related
4/12/2023
Miners Cottage floorboards

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi All New to the forum and looking for some advice, has anyone else renovated an old miners cottage in or around Ballarat and been able to identify the flooring? We…

24/04/2024
Ensure rubber gym floor is flush to floorboards in hallway?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, looking to have a gym in a new build. Planning to install some sort of rubber mat flooring (on concrete) i.e. Asking the builder to not do floorboards in the gym…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum