Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Neighbours wall is now in my garden!

Page 1 of 1
HI am new to the site and hope someone can help me out, after the big storm we noticed some run off from the brick retaining wall which is on our left hand side of our plot, the wall is approx 25 yrs old and was built by the neighbour's builder when their house was constructed, anyway to cut a long story short we have been doing a bit of work in our garden in preparation for a swimming pool and their wall suddenly collapsed and fell into our garden..........
Their response was well its not going to land on us so its your problem, our insurance company has said we are not covered as its their wall and they are saying that because we had a bob cat in the garden we have under mined the intergrity of the wall and its our fault!!
Its cost us $27,000 to have [b]their [b]house concrete injected as I am so worried that their house is going to fall into our house ( the height difference is about 2 mtrs). Other than going to a solicitor does any one have any thoughts??
Find a solicitor who has no win no charge-and BTW, I would be having discussions with your insurance company-they are meant to cover you and then chase them!
If you have excavated & this has led to the shifting of your neighbours foundations then I would seek help urgently as by the sound of it you will be solely liable.
How close to the wall was the excavation? It would have to be fairly close to come into play with the wall falling down. Also if there was enough rain in the storms, the ground under the wall might have given way.
Get advise from an engineer as well and talk to the insurance company as well
funny no one mention about insurance from your contractor.

are you working on the pool yourself?

get engineer report that will be my first step
Direct your neighbors to your bobcat company, who should have known not to excavate next to their wall, and should have insurance for same
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

3/12/2023
Neighbours rights to house access during reno

General Discussion

The only thing to add to these comments is that where possible it's always good to try and work with people than just say "no" because you can. Having someone…

15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum