Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

How to get toilet clean

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone know how to get the bottom inside of our toilet clean in our rental.

I have poured in bleach (yes i know its bad for the environment), gloves on and scrourer in the toilert and all the usual cleaning stuff.

Any ideas to get it white again.

Thanks

Caz
My guess would be that something caustic was left in the toilet for a long period of time and it ate into the enamel of the toilet. You probably wont get it "clean" looking again. If you cant replace the toilet, you might look into something like this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 334AAoHhZ3
Try dropping a pool chlorine tablet (or half of one) into the loo. Leave it as long as you can before you flush. I have cleaned up a few really really grotty loos this way.

Good luck - nothing worse is there

Cheers
Kim
Try some CLR. Calcium Lime and Rust remover.

Some times the brown is from the town water mineral deposits.
Poor a heap of Harpic granules in and leave it. Usually white king bleach is good poured in a left for a few hours.
Hello,

Won't you tried with Harpic? or you can also use acid leave for some time and after sometime clean it, i am sure all the stains will go away.

Keep Sharing & Reading!
How did you go with getting the stains off, Caz?

I bet your toilet was not as nice as our old one!

vid
How did you go with getting the stains off, Caz?

I bet your toilet was not as nice as our old one!

As a former plumber I'm of the opinion that when toilet pans are made today the glazing in the bottom is not as thick or doesn't have the coverage as the more accessible areas, consequently it stains much easier and for that reason is not as well made as much older pans.

From the photos of the old toilets above and judging by the colour they would be VERY old and subject to stain. So in answer to your problem I suggest the only sure method is to replace the throne.
Hi
I totally agree with Arthur, once the glazing has been removed inside the pan, stains are almost inpossible to remove. Dont waste your money on chemicals, the only way to get rid of it is to install a new pan.

Regards
Shane
Related
22/04/2024
Best way to clean and fix the pavement

Landscape & Garden Design

I have stone pavement (?) in my backyard around the pool. I have not tended to them and so there is moss growing on them. I intend to clean them but was wondering what the…

19/05/2023
Compact Toilet/Powder - Where to Buy

Bathrooms and Laundry

Looking at some of the designs on websites, they are all selling very similar products. I get that you want something stylish. It's worth looking for search terms like SaveH2O…

27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum