Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Please help. Wondering if its asbestos in the walls or not.

Page 1 of 1
Hello. ^^ After awhile of resting my feet on the walls, I somehow managed to punch a hole and surprise, I found out clunks(?) of white-plaster chunks that was inside! Touching it, it left a powder like substance on my fingers, and I tried testing it if it was asbestos or not by burning it and it didn't burn at all(didn't even leave a burn mark.) Am a bit terrified if it is asbestos or not, so would appreciate any information please.

sorry, the pictures are not very clear, but the wall structure basically is-

1mm outer wall (really thin cardboard-paper like thing)-and then the white plaster(its about 0.5 inches thick)-and then again the really thin cardboard-paper like thing-and then concrete. (I live in a Apartment building)

sounds like gyrock to me, AFAIK aspestos never had a paper lining....
Here's some information I found on identifying it:

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Does-Asbestos-Look-like
http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-impr ... estos1.htm

Step 1
Look at the material used for fireproofing. if it looks fibrous, friable (able to crumble) and fluffy, almost like a muddy brown or white cotton wool, chances are you have asbestos. This asbestos was usually sprayed on.

Step 2
Check when your building walls were plastered. Asbestos that was used to soundproof was usually mixed into the plaster. The asbestos almost looks like sprayed-on cement or like a material that was troweled on and is also friable. This asbestos is found in buildings with walls that were plastered before 1981. If you have dry wall then chances are they do not contain this plaster.

Step 3
Asbestos InsulationCheck your thermal insulation. This kind of insulation is found on steampipes, water heaters, boilers and hot water lines that were installed before 1981. This asbestos coating resembles a cardboard or paper-like covering and is normally white in color.

Step 4
Take a closer look at your floor tiles. Some asbestos tiles can be identified by sight. These tiles were manufactured by combining asphalt and asbestos making black or dark-colored floor tiles. These were popular in the 1920s and contained up to 70% asbestos. Some floor tiles installed as late as the 1970s contained this asbestos asphalt combination.
Related
9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

8/02/2024
Asbestos?

General Discussion

Damn. Know where I could find some?

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum