Join Login
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

<REMOVED>

Page 1 of 1
<REMOVED>
Hi
I think you need a drain in the concrete paving to catch any water from your hose. If that doesn't work then you may have a pipe leak somewhere.
Try not using your hose for a couple of weeks and see if it improves. Make sure the tap is closed tight and there is no water pressure in the hose for the couple of weeks.
<REMOVED>
The paving outside must be sloping towards the wall ? and have you checked the guttering to see if it overflows when it rains.
<REMOVED>
It's a process of elimination so one of the other possibilities is underground stormwater break which would possible flood during rainfall
also check your downpipes especially the boot which is the join near the ground you can do this with your hose flooding into you gutter
near the downpipe opening in the gutter. You will need a plumber to check the stormwater pipes with a CCTV or pressure test.
Another possibility is water flowing under your path from your neighbours property and then damming against the strip footing or edge beam of your garage and flooding in from there. Have a look over your fence and see if there is anything that might cause that to happen.
There appears to be a gap between the wall and the incorrectly sloped path. The top of the space filler should have been waterproofed. Is it?

Water can also seep through bricks.
What groundzero said. Check the neighbours and surrounding area.

What's the surrounding ground/landscaping like? Where are the water sources located in proximity to the flooding? How is the ground sloping towards the house?

If you can feel water inside the wall cavity, maybe investigate if the water source is further along the wall than where you're looking now? It could be running along the wall until it finds a way out and into your garage?

If you're dead sure it all stops when it's not raining and gets worse when it rains then thats a great start! Go back to basics and map the flow of water from the cloud and covering a 20m radius of your house. Identify all the places it's caught, runs and is taken away.

If you need some moisture sensors to bury around your house to log levels and rainfall over time let me know, we have rental units. (hope the shameful but helpful plug is allowed).

I hope you track it down.
Oh! Also... when you had the path/concrete redone, did you pay specific attention to the fall of the ground UNDER the concrete too? If that wasn't graded correctly water could be running off the concrete and then back under it towards the house.

I'm pretty sure Matt cornellengineers mentions this in one of his super informative youtube videos.
Wind driven rain flows down the wall.
SLABsense
Oh! Also... when you had the path/concrete redone, did you pay specific attention to the fall of the ground UNDER the concrete too? If that wasn't graded correctly water could be running off the concrete and then back under it towards the house.

I'm pretty sure Matt cornellengineers mentions this in one of his super informative youtube videos.

I've had a similar thought...I'll have to play around with that!

I've got a spot next to the driveway which retains water and I'm going to install some drainage there to get rid of the water.

Thanks for the confirmation.
SaveH2O
There appears to be a gap between the wall and the incorrectly sloped path. The top of the space filler should have been waterproofed. Is it?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand? There isn't an incorrectly sloped path any more. Where is the gap you speak of?

I've heard that bricks can have water pass through them, what can be done about that? Waterproofing paint?
SLABsense
What groundzero said. Check the neighbours and surrounding area.

What's the surrounding ground/landscaping like? Where are the water sources located in proximity to the flooding? How is the ground sloping towards the house?

If you can feel water inside the wall cavity, maybe investigate if the water source is further along the wall than where you're looking now? It could be running along the wall until it finds a way out and into your garage?

If you're dead sure it all stops when it's not raining and gets worse when it rains then thats a great start! Go back to basics and map the flow of water from the cloud and covering a 20m radius of your house. Identify all the places it's caught, runs and is taken away.

If you need some moisture sensors to bury around your house to log levels and rainfall over time let me know, we have rental units. (hope the shameful but helpful plug is allowed).

I hope you track it down.

Thanks for the detailed response!

I live on an acreage, down a hill near a creek. I know water flows towards my house but for the most part it goes around the house (only severe storms does it build up and I'm working on that too).

Yeah, the garage and the surrounding concrete dries up when there isn't any rain.

I've got to move things around in the garage and strip that wall of plasterboard anyway (remove mould) so I might bump that up the priority list and potentially get a very good idea where the water comes in.
TheBlackMini
SaveH2O

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand? There isn't an incorrectly sloped path any more. Where is the gap you speak of?

I've heard that bricks can have water pass through them, what can be done about that? Waterproofing paint?

as per H20, wind drive rain hits the wall and runs down it. Between the path and the slab there is usually some bitumen impregnated tape that acts as a cushion between the path and the house. It prevents direct contact. That is the gap i suspect that's being referred to. That tape has a removable top part, which needs to be removed and the gap filled with flexible sealant (like Sikaflex). Otherwise, wind driven rain running down the wall will make its way between the path and house gap. To what degree depends on how wide the gap is.

water is invasive. Most people don't give it a second thought until its doing damage. The damage can be quick and absolute if not dealt with. Keep investigating. You may even need to cut some plaster out of walls to see if you can investigate the source of ingress.
TheBlackMini
There isn't an incorrectly sloped path any more.

I thought that the second photo indicated water was still pooling. NVM.

You really need to spend a few dollars and have someone knowledgeable in the art on site as water leaks are tricky at the best of times. The first thing I would check is the concrete's height for compliance and while it is hard to tell from the photos, it still doesn't look right to me and seepage routes through the wall have already been established by the water. Finished surface height compliance varies between States and regions, are you in a low intensity rain area?
I'd happily pay someone to come around and help, just not sure who to call!

I live in a storm corridor, so not low intensity.
An old school plumber if you can find one. Where abouts are you?
Related
16/07/2023
Elevated House - can these horizontal beams be removed?

General Discussion

yes they don’t hold up the house

You are here
Building ForumDIY, Home Maintenance & Repair
Home
Pros
Forum