I'm taking on this deck as a DIY project and thought to seek some advice from the experts on this wonderful forum. I have drawn up the plans with some guidelines from various sources and just wanted to confirm that the material specs are suitable as some contradicts others.
The project consists of the main deck (8x3m) which is covered by a self supported pergola and the secondary deck surrounding the swim spa (6.8x4.6m). This deck is not covered. Both decks will be about 700mm off the ground. I was told The swim spa has a lockable lid so pool fencing is not required.
I was thinking of using H3 treatment
Bearers - 190x45
Joists - 145x45
Stumps - 90x90 H5
Concrete footings - 300dia x 450deep?
- Are the bearer and joist sizes sufficient for this or would i be better with 190x45 for both?
- Given that the deck height is only 700mm high, could i use a 300mm long stirrup to support bearer directly rather than using shorter stirrup to support the 90x90 wooden stumps?
- Ledgers - Rather than have these stumps close to the house wall, could i mount a bearer directly to the brick wall instead?
- The secondary deck boards start at brick wall and finish at colorbond fence. Could i mount this bearer to the fence posts or is that not recommended? This way i could eliminate one row of concrete footings.
- Is it preferred to set the stirrups into concrete footing or bolt it on top of the footings?
- IS there any benefit in using joist hangers vs having joists sit on top of bearers and using anchors?
- Are the 8m long steps an overkill? Am I better to create 4m steps and 4m railing?
- Where in Sydney are the best & cheapest places to buy these materials? I have already purchased the hardwood decking boards and just need the rest of the materials.
Any feedback on the deck design would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help.