Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Alfresco - Raise height

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,
In our house, the builder has left the Alfresco area as concrete. And we would like to get the area tiled. However, the drop from family room to alfresco is 200 mm.
Now before we lay tiles, we would like to raise the height of alfresco to reduce the drop to 100 mm.
We've contacted few tilers, and everyone gives different opinion.
Some suggests concrete on top of existing concrete area is strong, while other suggests sand-cement mix would be sufficient enough.

Can the experts please advise what would be a better solution.

Thanks
I'm no expert in concreting, but what you seem to be asking is whether to have a 100mm thick slab of concrete, or a 100mm thick slab of mortar...

Concrete is pretty much mortar but will the little aggregate stones in the mix, and that's what gives it more strength than mortar, plus it'll probably be cheaper too. I'd go with a concrete slab.
We poured concrete on top of our alfresco slab to raise it then we tiled. We still have a step down after this but just only 50mm from the main house slab.
ben888
I'm no expert in concreting, but what you seem to be asking is whether to have a 100mm thick slab of concrete, or a 100mm thick slab of mortar...

Concrete is pretty much mortar but will the little aggregate stones in the mix, and that's what gives it more strength than mortar, plus it'll probably be cheaper too. I'd go with a concrete slab.

ok, I was just reading online that concrete poured over an existing slab is more vulnerable to frost heave damage and cracks. So am bit concerned about this.
Melbournevic
We poured concrete on top of our alfresco slab to raise it then we tiled. We still have a step down after this but just only 50mm from the main house slab.

Hi melbournevic I was just wondering how your tiled alfresco is going? I am considering doing the same, raising concrete level to tile, but unsure of where to start? Can you tell me who you used to do the work?
Thanks
Related
30/05/2023
Replace roof, raise wall height vs extend

Renovation + Home Improvement

ok thanks - yes was wondering if that should have been listed as Option Three!

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

27/06/2023
Alfresco pitch

Building A New House

Hello! I've alfresco pitch of 3 degrees sitting just below the highlight window. Need advice on below: 1. Will the 3 degree pitch be ok to drain the rain water? The roof…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum