Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Decking timbers, Vic

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if anyone can point me to somewhere in Melbourne (pref Northern Suburbs) where we can see a range of finished decking timbers. (Preferably the same place can also supply and possibly deliver 50 km northward.)

We are considering building a deck and are looking for a lighter colour than Merbau, without resorting to pine.

From what I have seen on the web, spotted gum looks OK, but where can we see it in the flesh, finished (oiled) and what else is available in a blonde colour?
See if you can source tallowood.
We have spotted gum decking on our front porch. There's a lot of colour variation in that timber - which is one of the things we liked about it - so you might not get a consistent blonde colour. It's definitely lighter than merbau though.

The quality of the boards can be a bit iffy too - we actually hand-picked ours to avoid any badly warped ones. It seemed to be in short supply at the time too, but the price was pretty good.

Ours has been finished with Ultradeck, which is a clear finish, but like any sealer, gives it a slightly darker colour (imagine how timber darkens when wet). You can see the colour variation in the timber here:

Thanks kek -- very useful to see that range of variation. I think the lighter ones would get the missus' seal of approval but the darker bits probably not!

Is the edging/capping also spotted gum?
There are these guys in Ringwood, http://www.chippystimber.com.au/ - not exactly north, but they do have quite a lot on display. I haven't been back inside for a few years but that is where we got our decking timber. (merbau)
Related
2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

19/08/2023
Getting decking ready to sell the place

Landscape & Garden Design

Use a product like Equisol's Vitalise to clean the deck then coat with a penetrating timber oil. It will look 10 years younger and add value to your home. Visit for…

5/02/2024
Decking & Span Table

Outdoor Living

Hi, Really struggling to find some consistency amongst Span Tables, can anyone help…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum