Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Pergola cost and is it easy to DIY?

Page 1 of 1
Hello there!

My house is currently being constructed and looks like a box! We have a north facing wall that is screaming out for a basic timber pergola which we would like to grow vines over. I was thinking around 6 x 4 m. does anyone have an idea on how much this would cost and ig it is a DIY proiject? We will just have a crushed rock base initially until we can afford to upgrade...

Thanks in advance!

Liz
Check with your council if they require a permit for that structure. I remember when Dad and I did the one at my folks' place, it didn't need council approval as it didn't have a solid roof, and it was about the same size as the one you are suggesting.
Its really up to you how you do this, and its very very easy.

First things first, go out to bunnings and buy a copy of Al Staines Decking & Pergola book. its invaluable.
http://books.buyaustralian.com/featured ... 1875217106

Secondly. For the posts I'd use 100x100 treated cypress pine.
There are span tables that you should follow for working out how far to space them.
You will need to concrete these in and depending on the height of the pergola, this will determine how deep to go with your post holes. most of the time I go as deep as hard clay, or you could use stirrups also...

You would need to provide alot more info for asstiance but the al staines book will answer alot of ur questions.
also. A pergola should not need a permit as it does not have a roof and thus, does not need to be fully engineered (nothing for the wind to pick up and throw at the neighbours) but double check with your local council, you may have fire hazard info etc.
Very good tips - thank you. Any idea on cost? Fingers crossed we can afford it - my house is desperate for the feature!

Thanks again!
Not sure if this can help. Someone we know had an old pergola, floor area approx 5 x 8 m at least.
They ordered colourbond pergola posts etc. cut to size and it was around 3k. All work was DIY.
So, a smaller timber pergola should be cheaper than that.
Related
15/10/2023
DIY fence gate motor installation? Easy?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I mean, I install them/sell them for a living so I haven't done DIY, unless you count the first one I installed lol. (electrician by trade). Usually a 6-8 hour job for…

21/06/2023
New Pergola

Outdoor Living

Is there a building permit? RU in Victoria? What is the value of the building contract?

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum