Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Can u deck over existing concrete slab?

Page 2 of 3
stormy's is a great example of what can be achieved.

I have built many decks over the years.

1. work out a plan. includes looks, direction and heights.
2. make sure your spans etc are all ok and to spec.
3. make sure joists etc are jacked/chocked (say min 10-20mm) off the concrete base (to stop water ingress)
4. take your time, it's rewarding and be prepared to save between 30-70% off the quoted tradie price you got.
tengals
stormy's is a great example of what can be achieved.

I have built many decks over the years.

1. work out a plan. includes looks, direction and heights.
2. make sure your spans etc are all ok and to spec.
3. make sure joists etc are jacked/chocked (say min 10-20mm) off the concrete base (to stop water ingress)
4. take your time, it's rewarding and be prepared to save between 30-70% off the quoted tradie price you got.

Spot on!

We saved 10k.
yep,

The last one I did for a mate in Jan this year, he was on a really tight budget.

The deck was 500mm off the ground.

90mm T/P boards were used. the area was 41m2

the total cost was something like 2400.00

he was quoted 5000-9000
tengals
yep,

The last one I did for a mate in Jan this year, he was on a really tight budget.

The deck was 500mm off the ground.

90mm T/P boards were used. the area was 41m2

the total cost was something like 2400.00

he was quoted 5000-9000

I was quoted $14 to 15k. for 70sqm. Cost me $4k.

yep, thats it. and so rewarding too. Its actually fun work, building a deck.

hey do you have a link to the progress or pictures? pm me if you need.

id love to see it
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this question has been answered in other posts.
My alfresco is about 4m by 6m and would like to build a deck myself over the existing concrete and also to extend it by 1m and it will be 5m by 6m.
Do I need a building permit for that or permit from the council?
I live in the Eve estate in Cranbourne North.

Cheers
Kenny
check with your council
Hey

Congrats on an awesome looking deck. I'm really using your pictures as a study guide.

I'm building a deck over concrete, pretty much same size as yours.

I'm using 90x35, and using concrete packers underneath every 500mm to raise the height up.

Did you guys use any ledgers attached to the house? Or should it be fine just pressing up? As mine is sitting on packers should I look at doing this?

Concrete nails or Dyno bolts?

Thanks heap!
the whole ledger thing is a personal choice. Its far easier (less work) with a ledger, but some believe connecting it to the house, introduces the whole termite debate.

Henley in their displays have a 10mm gap or so between deck and house/brick.

I would chemset or dynabolt.

have you got a picture of the "concrete packers" you intend on using?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it easier with ledgers because it's more stable and straight?

I'm laying out the packers at the moment, I'll take a photo soon with them all positioned out before I start on the bearers and get some suggestions/ advice.

Cheers
I didnt use a ledger, 10mm from the house on both sides.

Mine:

I have taken a picture of my progress so far with joists and packers.

Any help with how I can upload a photo here? I don't have it added to a website so can't provide link.

My deck is going to extend out from halfway from my slab and into the yard.

I have worked out that I'm going to do straight Joists as it is too shallow for bearers.

What is the span for 90x45 for Joists on stumps? Is stumps every 1200mm ok?

Cheers
join photobucket.com its free

upload your photo there

post a link here
Stormy
We completed ours today. The whole process (DIY) took 6 weekends, and was very tricky in places, but saved us heaps of money on getting a man in!

We used wide plank no nail decking boards and screwed the 'Deck Ties' into joists which were bolted to the slab. Our biggests 'issues' arose as the slab was far from completely level, and many of the boards and joists were bowed making it very challenging. Not something we would do ourselves in a hurry again, but once it's stained and has all the furniture on it, no one will ever know there are a few things that are not quite right!

I would highly recommened that you don't build a deck this way. Joists sitting directly on the ground/concrete, even if covered with an alfresco roof, will mean they are exposed to sitting water when rain blows in. The joists will eventually rot, probably in less than 10 years. Joists should be elevated to allow ventilation and avoid pooling water, there are products you can use to do this.

Also I really hope Stormy used H4 treated joists as anything less (H3), will rot out quite quickly. Even H4 wont last for ever hence why timbers should always be off ground.
Hi Plucka.

I am currently working on a decking on our alfresco. Much similar to how Stormy did it, joist sitting on the concrete. Fortunately, I haven't progressed that far. I get your point that joists should be elevated. What can I use to achieve this? Can you please give me an idea, say if I go to bunnings, of what to look for? An easy fix that I can think of is have joists sit on paver bricks then use an angle bracet to fasten the joist to the concrete slab. I'll be in trouble though if these paver bricks either break or move.

What are concrete packers?

Another point is that there will be spaces between planks, where food and other little rubbish can fall through (I am going for 3mm). Has anyone come up with a solution for this, eg putting compound of some sort on the gap (just like a sealant)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.klevaklip.com.au/How-to-buil ... crete-slab

I haven't used this but saw something similar at my local building supply store recently. Also makes it really easy to get it all level regardless of the condition of your slab.
Those diy decks look great, and that kleva klip looks like a great idea. Part of our building package has a deck on the alfresco, but we are thinking we would like something in the front entrance way very similar so will be watching this thread with interest.
Thanks Robbie and Plucka. That Klevaklip looks like a solution - clever! Hope Bunnings or Masters have them.
We want to deck over our alfresco slab which is relatively flat but also extend out over a concrete path which has a small slope to allow water run off. Is it possible to deck this and keep it all level?
Novicehandyman
We want to deck over our alfresco slab which is relatively flat but also extend out over a concrete path which has a small slope to allow water run off. Is it possible to deck this and keep it all level?

From the sounds of your requirement, theKlevaklip (refer video -> www.klevaklip.com.au/How-to-build-a-dec ... crete-slab ) should be the solution to raise and level the deck.
Related
20/04/2024
Shed Slab over Soakwell

General Discussion

One corner of my shed slab will be directly over a 1400mm diameter concrete soakwell. Is it feasible to fill the soakwell with concrete then lay the shed slab over the…

3/07/2023
Butchered concrete over overflow relief gully

General Discussion

Much a do about nothing. You can see the fall heading to the actual drains. Stormwater ingress will be minimal and it's far better to have the top sitting flush rather…

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum