Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Should we insulate a skillion roof?

Page 1 of 1
We are having a skillion roof being built at the moment and it has just occured to me that we should possibly insulate it. My husband and I had a look at it last night and think it could be too high to get any of the benefits of insulation.

I don't have any pics with me at the moment (I will add some later), but it is very high as it had to go over one side of the house, and it is north facing so will get great breezes but also a fair amount of sun.

In this situation would you insulate? Pics may give a clearer idea of what I mean, but any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated.

Andrea
Is this for a patio or is it over an internal room?

From the sounds of your post, I think you are talking about a patio roof? We had a patio roof with sisalation lining under the corrugated iron on our old house and it would get noticeably hot under there when it was in sun. You can avoid that by having the patio roof higher than the roof it is next to - that will let out the hot air and give you good cross-flow ventilation, although it would be a little more open to weather.

HTH
Kylie
Yes sorry, the skillion roof is above the roof of the existing home, and is for an outdoor entertaining area (we have just finished an extension and renovation). This is why we are thinking that it might be high enough to let the breezes through, and maybe too high to get the benefits of insulation.

Thanks for your reply.
Related
17/07/2023
Skillion Roof Pitch

General Discussion

Why don't you call and talk with someone at the town planning in your council?

7/04/2024
Cathedral Ceiling, exposed beams. Insulate Kingspan plaster?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Our 6m high Cathedral ceiling has 0 insulation, just plaster, wrap and tiles as far as I can tell. Wife likes the exposed beams, I hate the $600 per month heating bill,…

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum