Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Decking Query

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

We are planning on building a 7.5m length by 3.8m width deck with the decking timber running lengthwise of 7.5m once the house is completed.

I have been reading up about the instructions on how to build a deck from the internet / mitre10 website as well as this forum and one question i have is, given that the bearer and the decking timber should be run in the same direction. We would need to get 7.5m bearers, are they available in such a long length ?

Thank you
You wouldn't need a 7.5 metre length. You can easily terminate, say a 3.6 metre bearer and a 3.9 bearer on the one post(depending on your post distances).
Art
You wouldn't need a 7.5 metre length. You can easily terminate, say a 3.6 metre bearer and a 3.9 bearer on the one post(depending on your post distances).

Thank you
like this:

On a concrete 100x100mm post, there is a metal spike. If you cut the timber bearers on an angle and place them on the bearer like the above image, then bend the spike over on top of the bearer.
Adrian B
like this:

On a concrete 100x100mm post, there is a metal spike. If you cut the timber bearers on an angle and place them on the bearer like the above image, then bend the spike over on top of the bearer.

Thanks, got it now. Also, you mentioned the concrete post are 100x100mm, i am assuming you are not referring to the length ?

Cheers
correct, they are 100x100mm and come in increments of 10cms length from about 40cms throught to 2 metres.
Adrian B
correct, they are 100x100mm and come in increments of 10cms length from about 40cms throught to 2 metres.

Thank you. Much appreciated
Found this concrete stump http://www.tekstump.com.au/index.php which might be easier to screw to the bearers.

Cheers
Related
2/03/2024
Recommendations for best value decking oil for pine decking?

General Discussion

Hi, as per the subject. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best value decking oil (Bunning is close to where I live) for a treated pine deck? Thanks

4/09/2023
driveway related query

Paving & Concreting

Thank you ponzutwo for the information, much appreciated.

9/10/2023
Payment Structure Query in MBA Contract: Seeking Advice

Building A New House

There is no reason why building contract reconciliation cannot be done prior to handover, if the builder won't do it get someone to do it for you. Why would you pay for…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum