Join Login
Building ForumOutdoor Living

Shading of outdoor areas

Page 1 of 1
OK - advertising obviously works since I saw an ad for this product while watching Sunrise just now - and promptly googled the website

http://www.wheelezy.com.au/index.html

This creates shaded areas - sort of like a big shadecloth on a track

I will have to enquire on the price - might be good for our upstairs balcony that has a pergola.
stonecutter1309
OK - advertising obviously works since I saw an ad for this product while watching Sunrise just now - and promptly googled the website

http://www.wheelezy.com.au/index.html

This creates shaded areas - sort of like a big shadecloth on a track

I will have to enquire on the price - might be good for our upstairs balcony that has a pergola.

Looks good!

You can also get remote controlled shade sails which aren't on a track. They can cover anything from a single window up to the width of the house for out the back. The best thing about them is that they are frameless. The worst thing about them is that they are very expensive and you have to make sure they're not out in high winds! (plus they're expensive). I'll see if I can track down the site.
My two cents worth,
Shade sails get dirty, worn, tatty and faded pretty quickly.
Make sure the shade material is UV stable, colorfast and has a decent warranty on it.
Pat.
stevep79
You can also get remote controlled shade sails which aren't on a track. They can cover anything from a single window up to the width of the house for out the back. The best thing about them is that they are frameless. The worst thing about them is that they are very expensive and you have to make sure they're not out in high winds!
Phooey. Out at our block the winds are pretty much constant--and I don't think I've ever been out there without them blowing at less than around 30km/h.

Which is making for an interesting complication as we plan our gardens.

--Mike
cynarion
stevep79
You can also get remote controlled shade sails which aren't on a track. They can cover anything from a single window up to the width of the house for out the back. The best thing about them is that they are frameless. The worst thing about them is that they are very expensive and you have to make sure they're not out in high winds!
Phooey. Out at our block the winds are pretty much constant--and I don't think I've ever been out there without them blowing at less than around 30km/h.

Which is making for an interesting complication as we plan our gardens.

--Mike

Depends on the sail really....if it's the one which folds away into a 20cm high, 20cm deep box then I have seen them in action in high winds and it's quite scary! The unit and the arms are so heavy that you really wouldn't want them crashing down

Make a rock garden, that will do the trick

As a side note, get ready for a tough time getting a shade sail. We had to replace fixed sails last year and it took months to even get someone to show up, it's like they don't need anyone's business!
We must have seen the same advertisement, I said to one of the kids that would be good for our Alfresco.
Will wait for you to see how much it is Stonecutter.

I am a marketers dream.
There are some systems that detect the strength of the wind & then automatically roll up. Pretty expensive, I'd imagine
Southies - that sounds like Helioscreen - about $5000 per segment
(my parents wanted something like it and were flabbergasted - even for them it's expensive)
Pat the draftie
My two cents worth,
Shade sails get dirty, worn, tatty and faded pretty quickly.
Make sure the shade material is UV stable, colorfast and has a decent warranty on it.
Pat.

This is quite true if you have a light colour, ours are 12 years old now and WERE white
I guess anything 12 years old gets grubby. They do hold up in high winds, we've had a few mini cyclones in the last couple of years and they didn't leave home. I wouldn't get them again, I just think there are more advanced shade makers than this somewhere!
stonecutter1309
Southies - that sounds like Helioscreen - about $5000 per segment
(my parents wanted something like it and were flabbergasted - even for them it's expensive)

OUCH !
I got a quote for a 2.8m x 5.8m self-retracting shade unit - $1200

Not sure if this is a reasonable price as I haven't looked at covering the propsoed pergola with anything else yet.
Related
12/05/2023
Outdoor fish tank

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for letting us know. The programmer will have a look at this later today.

29/10/2023
Outdoor Blinds for Pergola

Outdoor Living

About a year ago, I embarked on a DIY project to construct an outdoor Pergola, which measures approximately 5.2 meters by 4.0…

5/03/2024
What type of tile is best for outdoor patios?

Outdoor Living

Natural stone tiles like slate, travertine, and limestone add a timeless, elegant look to…

You are here
Building ForumOutdoor Living
Home
Pros
Forum