Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen island.....waterfall or not?

Page 1 of 2
We’re going to be doing our selections soon and I have mixed feelings about whether to have a waterfall edge to both ends of the 4.0m long island bench.

This new house needs to stand the test of time and I’m wondering whether in the next couple of years we will see waterfall edges become less popular, and might date the house.

Interested in the opinion of forum members.
Almost certainly it will date quite quickly, we thought as you are thinking, try to make kitchen look high end without quick trends or in 5 years it will look like a old trend.

Joker
Almost certainly it will date quite quickly, we thought as you are thinking, try to make kitchen look high end without quick trends or in 5 years it will look like a old trend.

Thanks for your input ✌️
IMO the waterfall ends ground the island bench and make it look finished, especially if you have an overhang on one side for stools - otherwise the bench just sticks out. I don't see stone going out of style any time soon, and I'd say the same for waterfall ends.
4m long island you say. I hope you worked out where the stone joins will be placed.
kirashogun
4m long island you say. I hope you worked out where the stone joins will be placed.

They usually go at the edge of one end of a sink or cooktop (if cooktop is on island). The statement a 4m island makes far outweighs any join.
Bebbsy
We’re going to be doing our selections soon and I have mixed feelings about whether to have a waterfall edge to both ends of the 4.0m long island bench.

This new house needs to stand the test of time and I’m wondering whether in the next couple of years we will see waterfall edges become less popular, and might date the house.

Interested in the opinion of forum members.

Go for it, hardly anyone has them due to cost, so can’t really see them dating much. Definitely look good on long island benches, as mentioned by Possums above, agree with all that.
A kitchen trend changes very quickly,can't argue that today's trends will date kitchen as almost surly it will, already waterfalls are trending to other materials such as wood etc, yes waterfalls are nice,yes it will date to a particular time.

I agree, they will date very quickly.

In relation to the length of the stone, joins, etc. We needed 3100mm for our splashback and accepted we would need two pieces. My stone guy called me and told me that every now and then Caesarstone have 'super length' stone which cost a little more, however I was happy to pay just to not have any joins. We have a splashback and benchtop without any joins.
DamNita
I agree, they will date very quickly.

In relation to the length of the stone, joins, etc. We needed 3100mm for our splashback and accepted we would need two pieces. My stone guy called me and told me that every now and then Caesarstone have 'super length' stone which cost a little more, however I was happy to pay just to not have any joins. We have a splashback and benchtop without any joins.

👍🏻😂
I actually like that people don’t do waterfall ends, especially 75mm thick ones, and I like even more if they stick to 3m long islands rather than 4 or 5m long islands. Why? Because when you see something few people have, it makes it more special and everything everyone else has is same old same old. Dare to be different and have what you love and makes you happy now, who knows how you’ll feel about something in 10yrs time??
Also I am always thinking of what might happen if little children are slipping on the wet floor and running into waterfalls.

On a good side though, extra stone provides a bit of additional thermal mass which you can use to your advantage of solar gains if placed in the north.
alexp79
Also I am always thinking of what might happen if little children are slipping on the wet floor and running into waterfalls.

On a good side though, extra stone provides a bit of additional thermal mass which you can use to your advantage of solar gains if placed in the north.

If there isn't a waterfall you still have the hard end of the cabinets. There wouldn't be much difference.
If you really like it and you have the budget, go for it. This was something that we really wanted but didn't opt for it in our first build. We are planning to build again and this is one of the must have for us.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
alexp79

If there isn't a waterfall you still have the hard end of the cabinets. There wouldn't be much difference.

Well, hitting the wood vs hitting the stone IS different
Thanks everyone. Still undecided, however my other half likes the waterfall end so now even we cannot agree! 😀
Melbournevic
If you really like it and you have the budget, go for it. This was something that we really wanted but didn't opt for it in our first build. We are planning to build again and this is one of the must have for us.

That’s exactly right - if you like it and can afford it then do it. Which also goes for just about everything in life! If you sit around worrying something will date or go out of style you might as well do nothing.

**edit** great work forum mods deleting troll post a few posts above, nice to know we can enjoy our time here helping others without others trying to ruin it.
We also weren't sure about waterfall ends and initially had it in our contract but got rid of them last minute after seeing a lot of display homes not having them and our sales guy even said how they were all ready going out of 'fashion' but in saying that they are always going to still look nice.
I think colours will date long before waterfall ends. So, probably more important choice is the colours you choose.
alexp79
CuttingEdgeKitchens
alexp79

Well, hitting the wood vs hitting the stone IS different

A square wood end panel will still open a kids head up just like stone. The only difference is look. No safety difference!
Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

23/05/2023
Rainwater Tank not filling

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

But if it is a ground level open pit, then it is not a charged system. No surprises there. The pipes have obviously been altered and there would be a reason for this.…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum