Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Waterfall on island bench

Page 1 of 1
I'm keen to hear thoughts on whether they are just a trend that will go out of style sooner rather than later?
Everything goes out of style sooner or later. I say if you like it, then do it.

We’re putting one in. To me it makes the kitchen look more grand.
I have been installing them in kitchens for 20years and they are still popular.
I’m getting waterfall ends on my island bench as I don’t want my small child walking into a corner of the breakfast bar. If I wasn’t having overhang I wouldn’t have bothered, but I have four kids who love to sit and chat with me while cooking so the breakfast bar works for us.
Is it possible to put a powerpoint in the Caesarstone (silestone) waterfall edge in the kitchen island bench? We had our electrical appointment with Metricon yesterday and they are adamant that they can't cut into the caesarstone so it would be mounted to the front of the laminate cupboard of the island bench but I'm sure I have seen it done before. Any help would be appreciated.
Jackiejoo
Is it possible to put a powerpoint in the Caesarstone (silestone) waterfall edge in the kitchen island bench? We had our electrical appointment with Metricon yesterday and they are adamant that they can't cut into the caesarstone so it would be mounted to the front of the laminate cupboard of the island bench but I'm sure I have seen it done before. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask your stone mason. They do the cutouts for your sink and cooktop so they are the ones who will do that. It can be done as I have recently installed a kitchen which had it done.
Choppy182
Jackiejoo

Ask your stone mason. They do the cutouts for your sink and cooktop so they are the ones who will do that. It can be done as I have recently installed a kitchen which had it done.

Thanks Choppy182
As mentioned above. A GPO in the Waterfall end isn't too dissimilar to asking for a sink cutout, or a tap hole. It's pretty common. Should be under $200 to have this penetration made in the surface.

Just need to think of the practicality of the location of the GPO.
Is putting it on the side the best spot for it (eg, cables hanging in a walk way)
Is this the best spot aesthetically for it?

I don't think of Waterfall ends as a trend - they've been done since the late 90's. Moreso a feature on the ends of your floor cabinetry, especially if you have a nice bench material, and it's a visual end from other areas (eg entrances, decks etc).
GBDesign
As mentioned above. A GPO in the Waterfall end isn't too dissimilar to asking for a sink cutout, or a tap hole. It's pretty common. Should be under $200 to have this penetration made in the surface.

Just need to think of the practicality of the location of the GPO.
Is putting it on the side the best spot for it (eg, cables hanging in a walk way)
Is this the best spot aesthetically for it?

I don't think of Waterfall ends as a trend - they've been done since the late 90's. Moreso a feature on the ends of your floor cabinetry, especially if you have a nice bench material, and it's a visual end from other areas (eg entrances, decks etc).

Thanks for your reply GBDesign.
The GPO is needed in the island bench as that is where I do most of my meal prep & cooking. I will also be doing cooking classes in my kitchen so need to use appliances on the island bench. I don’t plan to have appliances plugged in all the time.

In regard to aesthetics, it will be on a side that is not seen when walking into the open plan living area.
I have found a few people who are building/ have built with Metricon & they have been able to do it so I will follow this up with them on Monday.
Know coming into this pretty late, but if doing a cut-out make sure you know what type of powerpoint you want when asking and give the template to the stonemason. The reason being a lot of the more fancy and slimline powerpoints require a much larger access hole which in turn leaves very little room for error.

Whereas the more common power points don't need such a big hole and are more tollerant of any variations.

I kind of got caught with this in my place, though it was in the glass splash back no an island. The sparky had to enlarge the hole to fit my power points (Clipsal Saturn Zen). Lets say he was very worried that he might crack the glass! But he got there in the end.
Instead of installing the power point on the stone you could consider installing it in the cabinetry.

If you have cupboard doors you can mount it on the inside wall. If you have drawers you can have a false drawer front which flips down to reveal a bank of power points behind it.

Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum