Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Zip Taps - are they worth it or a PITA?

Page 1 of 1
I am really keen on a boiling, cold and sparkling zip tap but have no idea where to start, the website is confusing and there appear to be too many options.

My requirements are filtered BCS, separate to normal tap. Am I looking at ~$6000 for this?

Are they notorious for breaking down? Are the consumables expensive and do they need frequent changing in the long term?
I looked into it: Hot Water Taps but decided a kettle was a better option.
We are on our third one in 5 years! We bought the first one (new) from a plumber via eBay. Leaked. Second one, via eBay also, motherboard failed. Replacement cost $500+ so junked it. The current one also via eBay and been going great. All have been hot water only because a) ones with additional cold water the base unit is quite large and would not fit in cupboard, b) horrendously expensive, and c) our fridge is plumbed and has chilled water dispenser so not required. We bought via eBay as we were not willing to spend $2,000 plus for a new one that just boiled water, but needed anything else.
They are VERY expensive for what they do, however wife was adamant about having one and they are convenient. If you have the money go for it, however they are not reliable based on my experience. Keep in mind something that keeps water at boiling temperature and has a refrigeration unit for the cold water, plus CO2 unit for sparling water is going to cost in terms of energy use over it's lifetime.
i travel to many industrial/ commercial sites daily
i see more broken than working
i have only seen one or two where the boiling water safety switch was still working
We had one in the house we built in 2012 and absolutely loved it. It had all three options...BUT it was a complimentary upgrade from the builder. We've just signed up to build our second home, we did consider having another, but at $4500+install, we just couldn't justify it. We're also on tank water this time, so don't need the filter. We were in the last house for two years and had no problems with it though, if we could afford/justify it we wouldn't hesitate in getting another.

Related
21/09/2023
ZIP System Wall Sheathing

Building A New House

Thanks for responding. Do you know of anyone installing this product in Sydney?

25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum