Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Undermount sink and Caesarstone Warranty

Page 1 of 1
Hi wondering if anyone may be able to help. I have just had my kitchen installed and had asked for the sink to be mounted above the stone as I was told that if we went with an undermount sink and you chip the edge it’s not covered under caesarstone warranty. The kitchen sink has been installed undermount 🙄. Not sure if this now is too hard to change or if the warranty advice told to us is correct I can’t find anything written about it anywhere? Thanks
Hi Kat.
Accidental damage (chips) won't be covered under warranty, so any chips around an undermount sink will be your responsibility.
Having said that, personally I feel that undermount sinks look better and as long as your not crazy rough with your washing up you shouldn't have any huge issues.
Looks and how gentle you are on your kitchen are personal things though so if you think the top mount sink looks better or will suit you more then you are in your rights to ask for it.
Undermount sink actually cost more due to the extra polishing around the rim. You could still top mount a sink but it would require removing the old one (probably not reusable) and then having a new one cut in. The hole for a top mount is bigger so you can go that way.
What did your contract say and what did you pay for?
Hi thanks for your reply we paid for a Franke Bow sink $924 (inset) in lieu of standard but that’s all it says we just went with the top mount because the girl at the selection studio told us about the risk of chips happening and seeing as we were paying a lot for upgrading the caesarstone we didn’t really want to take the risk but now it’s been installed undermount I didn’t know how they would make it top mount. I’ll have to talk to my SS and have it changed, thanks again for your help
Kat1
Hi thanks for your reply we paid for a Franke Bow sink $924 (inset) in lieu of standard but that’s all it says we just went with the top mount because the girl at the selection studio told us about the risk of chips happening and seeing as we were paying a lot for upgrading the caesarstone we didn’t really want to take the risk but now it’s been installed undermount I didn’t know how they would make it top mount. I’ll have to talk to my SS and have it changed, thanks again for your help

I have also gone with an above mount sink installed flush due to being told by stonemasons that stone around under mount sinks often chip.

I do agree with the above statement that under mount sinks look better, but a nice slimline above mount flush with the stone is a very close second

If that’s what you asked for, you should get it.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89059
Hi aphsta yes I really like undermount too and we had that in mind when we went to make our selections but I know if I did chip the stone I’d kick myself!
Had under mount double sink for 3 1/2 years, im a quick agressive sink user, no chips yet, just not a problem.

I've never had a complaint from a customer that has gone for undermount sinks. Realistically your probably just as likely to get a chip in front of your dishwasher from a wayward pot as around your sink.
Personally, we had undermount sinks in our last house for 5 years and had no major issues with chips. Will have the same in the new house when I build the cabinetry.
Have an under mount sink since 2005 in a rental we own. Sink has dropped down a few times, but never a chip to the stone benchtop.
I agree with Chippy. None of my customers have ever complained about undermount sinks either.

I have one at my house and love it, so much better than top mount!

Stick with it.
Thanks for your advice everyone maybe should just take the win would of got charged extra to have it undermount
Kat1
Thanks for your advice everyone maybe should just take the win would of got charged extra to have it undermount

Totally
I've had undermount sinks in a stone benchtop for 15 years. They aren't big sinks so sometimes pots scrape the edges getting them in and out. Never had a chip, only scuff marks which are easily removed with a magic eraser.
Related
30/04/2023
Undermount sink

Kitchen Corner

Have had stone benches with undermount sink (kitchen) and drop-in (laundry) and top-mounted basin (bathrooms) for coming up 13 years and not one chip/scratch of any kind.…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

7/05/2023
Builder not giving letter of commencement and practical comp

Building A New House

The HIA contract, in the term & conditions section states that "Commencment" is deemed when the drainage is started or the piers are dug or the slab is formed up (incase…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum