Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen Design - Need Extra Set of Eyes

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

I need some help. We are currently finalising the design of our new kitchen when my other half had to go overseas urgently. We were 95% finished and only wanted to have the kitchen island width increased from 900mm to 1200mm to finalise everything. The designer has completed the plans (see link below) and says that 300mm it the maximum overhang for the island. Can anyone let me know if they have come across this limit ?

So it is now up to me to ensure the plans are ok and signoff (The pressure is on !).

If someone has time can they have a look at the plans and see if there is anything that I should address before signing off

Thanks
Colin

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q3zbuF81t4w3AqTQWm14Piq4gl5ANaHn/view?usp=sharing
Looks OK to me.

300mm overhang limit is mentioned in this post on Whirlpool, so might be a common number. Check on the website of the company providing your benchtop material.
Hey Colin, nice kitchen plans you have there! Looks good though I don’t think the island is 1200mm in the drawings. Definitely worth increasing the width to this if you have the space.

And as arcdelt mentioned, the overhang limit has been discussed before and is a known issue. But doesn’t mean you can’t have a 1200mm wide island.

I think the island bench with overhang is already 1.2 wide, otherwise you could not sit there.

The design looks sound. The pantry is a little small but that depends on your situation. You'll still fit heaps in it as they have maximized it.
The 300mm overhang is the maximum you can go with engineered stone unless you want to start building in supports.
The only thing you may find is the push to open doors on the back of the island can be a bit of a pain. People inevitably knock them with there knees when they are sitting at the bench and they pop open. You then end up needing to re-close them.
There's not much you can do as you don't want handles under there. The only other option is the recessed finger pulls as you have on the rest of the cabinetry.
As mentioned by others yes 300 is the maximum overhang but you can have the bench 1200 and either have a void or cupboard on the seating side. We have chosen cupboards and we have chosen these handles so that the kids don’t keep kicking the handless doors open. The only thing I would suggest would be to maybe widen your pantry.

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Thanks Guys for your help re the overhang. Am happy now and signing off on the design.

Regarding the comments on the pantry size. The pantry on the kitchen design is not the only kitchen storage, we have a separate walk in pantry.(1.5m x 3.7m).

See plan here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mNtr1 ... EsevG9_pyn
arcadelt
Looks OK to me.

300mm overhang limit is mentioned in this post on Whirlpool, so might be a common number. Check on the website of the company providing your benchtop material.

300mm is the maximum you can have unsupported.

Remember this bench top has two waterfall ends which give support at either end. Being a 40mm top you could easily canterlever some 50x20x4mm steel and have what ever overhang you want.
The 20mm thickness of the steel would be fully concealed in the 20mm build up underneath and extend across the tops of the cabinets.
Agree with the above post.

Our overhang is 450mm because I'm tall and wanted more room.

It required the slab to be reinforced so was slightly more expensive.

colin1
Thanks Guys for your help re the overhang. Am happy now and signing off on the design.

Regarding the comments on the pantry size. The pantry on the kitchen design is not the only kitchen storage, we have a separate walk in pantry.(1.5m x 3.7m).

See plan here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mNtr1 ... EsevG9_pyn

We have a 1200mm deep bench top and 500mm of that is overhang for the breakfast bar, we have no ends or cabinets supporting it on the overhang side, but we did pay for extra reinforcing to handle the weight.
HTH C.
Related
24/08/2023
Devil in the eyes

General Discussion

Where ethics are absent, money takes center stage, turning business minds into puppeteers of moral decay.

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum