Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Do not like kitchen wall tiles

Page 1 of 1
I have been trying to sugar coat it to myself but it just won't do. I hate how my kitchen tiles look! Don't know what we were thinking! I think it looks awful. Need to think about how we are going to fix this. A lighter colour would be best. What do you think? Is it a big and expensive job to do post handover?

It really depends on the way you go about it.

Tiling itself isn't difficult especially for a simple flat area like the photo.

If you are prepared to have a go you could tile over the existing tiles. You have to use a special adhesive though (see http://www.tilewizards.com.au/installin ... -and-cons/)

Taking off the tiles is a different matter as you are likely to damage the plasterboard and thus need to do a fair bit of surface prep before you install the new tiles. Much harder and more expensive especially if you haven't got the skills or tools.
Thanks for the advice bashworth! I am feeling a bit better about it today. This is certainly one for the 'what to not do' list for next time:roll:
I don't think it would be a huge job changing, even if you did damage the plasterboard it can easily be replaced. Just have it quoted up by a few tilers. Maybe wait until range hood is installed as it will make the splash back less of a focal point.
Sethor
I don't think it would be a huge job changing, even if you did damage the plasterboard it can easily be replaced. Just have it quoted up by a few tilers. Maybe wait until range hood is installed as it will make the splash back less of a focal point.

Thanks Sethor! Waiting until rangehood is in is what SS suggested. The splashback area is the one I fretted over for the longest time and we could not decide. This is what indecision gets you!!
Just my opinion but I think it looks great! Love the dark look.
Sometimes you just have to take a step back and imagine how it would look when it’s all ‘styled up’ and all the furniture etc is all in place.
Just see how you go!

This is my greatest fear. Hopefully once the rangehood is in and it’s styled you love it again

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
sparrowsnest
This is my greatest fear. Hopefully once the rangehood is in and it’s styled you love it again

Building our first custom dream home. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Thank you all! What kind words! I am now optimistic that it will all work out. My husband does not even want to hear about changing those tiles hahaha!
I don't think you need to change the tiles. Once the range hood goes in and the bench top and oven is in it will look very different. I hope you'll love it!
I wonder if you could get glass installed over it post handover?

Interesting idea. Thanks nomnomnom.
I was going to say the same thing. I don’t think they look too bad. Wait till all the appliances goes in before you judge it. The appliances will break it all up if you think it looks too much.

I really expected to see something hideous by the way you were describing it

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Hey Doulton777,

This is our first build and between the image I have in my mind, disagreements with partner about what tiles to go with and what the final product actually is, something got lost in translation! I just want this to all be over already!!! My heart can only take so much anxiety and stress lol!!!
Hello, it will cost around $500 - $600 to replace with new tiles and take the old ones off. Make sure they don’t damage your cabinetry when taking the tiles off. But it’s quite an easy fix. Should be a couple of hours labour. We did this in our last house. 😄
Related
29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

4/09/2023
Newly Installed Aircon Not Sitting Flush with the Wall

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The unit normally clips into a metal plate screwed to the wall, either plate is not flush, or unit not hooked in and could be hanging from the pipes partly, either might…

18/02/2024
Retaining wall not built to specifications, PC help

General Discussion

Thanks for your reply! All valid points and I agree with you on many of them. I am in QLD, any recommendations on a construction lawyer would be helpful

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum