Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

pendant lights - do kitchen and dining need to match?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

Having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I'm set on some pendant lights for my kitchen island bench, but the dining table is close by and I'm wondering what to do here. I can't find the same light in a larger size, so I thought of going something different here. Will this look odd? Are there any 'rules' as far as pendants go when your kitchen and dining are basically near each other in an open plan living area?
Nuri
Hi All,

Having a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I'm set on some pendant lights for my kitchen island bench, but the dining table is close by and I'm wondering what to do here. I can't find the same light in a larger size, so I thought of going something different here. Will this look odd? Are there any 'rules' as far as pendants go when your kitchen and dining are basically near each other in an open plan living area?

I think - and this is just my opinion - that if you keep it in the same style/family of design it will look great. So if you have metal look lights in the kitchen, then try to find a metal style light to compliment.
same if it was a timber style in the kitchen - you'll lean towards the same style in the dining.
Hope that helps
Cheers

B&A
Yeah I thought about doing that, or skipping the dining pendant altogether.
It probably depends on the look you want to achieve. I was going to have wicker/rattan style pendants on the island, but then I decided to use my current large wicker bedroom pendant for dining (as new place will have bedroom fan so I can’t have it in there) and decided that it’d be too matchy matchy with all the same material, so am now doing glass ball pendants over island instead. I think you can definitely pull off different ones, they just all need to fit into your overall style. If you have all matching furniture and one really particular style then it would be harder. Just my opinion

Mix and match pics of what I’m using..

Thanks. The overall look I'm going for is industrial. Finding it hard to find large pendants of this type.
Nuri
Thanks. The overall look I'm going for is industrial. Finding it hard to find large pendants of this type.

Have you had a look at online shops like Banggood, Gearbest and Aliexpress?

Cheers
B&A

This is from Gearbest - just one page of MANY!

Have fun!
B&A
Also www.fatshackvintage.com.au have awesome industrial lights!

Thanks guys, will check out both sites
Don't forget eBay and Etsy.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For reference, these are the pendants I'm using over my kitchen island (3 of them):

These are 32cm in diameter, so too small for my dining table which is 1500 x 1500. Was trying to find something similar that wouldn't clash...but I'm thinking I might have to leave out the dining pendant.
What does everyone think of this?
Oh - Be sure to check out the new AMAZON AU site - they do lighting also. Some really nice stuff in there by the looks.

Like this one! How nice is that!!!
(TIC)
Cheers
B&A
I love it Nuri. I was almost going to suggest that one to you, it’s nice and big and the bulb shape and black trim/casing ties in perfectly with your pendants.

Similar enough to look good but different enough to be interesting

B&A ummm yeah that’s a beautiful one. You should use it, then post pics for us to laugh, I mean see..

Thanks Jamby

Yeah not a fan of that Amazon pendant but I'll see what else they have.
Nuri
What does everyone think of this?

I really like this one.

To answer your original question, in my current house I have 3 individual pendants over my 3m long island, and in the dining, 3 on the one silver bar in the same style .

In the house I’m building I’ve done the same but with a different light design because I like how it works

viewtopic.php?t=89059
Related
15/11/2023
Kitchen living Dining

General Discussion

Can anyone suggest a house layout where the kitchen-dining - living runs the length across the rear of the house left to right where our best view will be we…

26/04/2024
Looking for designs which have a void in the living/dining

Building A New House

Hello all, bought a block of land and would like to find designs now. We want a void over the living/dining room. We’re looking at Savoy 32 from Eden Brae, are there any…

6/07/2023
Holman deck lights

Lighting + Lighting Design

So I'm just reading up on this ecosystem of lights. I'm planning on putting deck lights along the outside edge of a large deck. Will need about 3 packs (18 lights) plus…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum