Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

New Kitchen layout help

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I am a complete kitchen noob and need some help with a re-design.

It is a fairly small galley style kitchen, opening it all up just isnt an easy option so we are hoping to simply maximise the space best we can. I am hoping to keep the sink where it was previously, with the main pantry on the right side (max width is 800mm) and then bench top across to the left with storage drawers under and maybe overhead cupboards to floating shelves above. Opposite, I was hoping to have the fridge tucked away (width 900mm, deep 700mm, with drawers/cupboards cover the rest, underbench oven/cooktop, rangehood etc and overhead cupboard against that wall.

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Our dining table will be in the 'dining area' with kids place space in the 'meals'. Just for context, the master bedroom is the room to the south that is cut off, with 2 further bedrooms down the hall heading down the page, whilst the main lounge is to the right of the dining.

Thanks

Chris

That looks like quite a small kitchen for a family.
Maximising space is all about using every nook and cranny as wisely as possible. There's not much else you can change about the layout. However, you can be clever with your cabinet design to make the most out of it. Here's some things to think about...

build your cupboards right up to the ceiling
put drawers inside your pantry cupboard
in fact, put drawers where ever you can
remember, open shelves are for displaying pretty things and for that feeling of openness. You might not want to sacrifice the storage space.
integrated ranghoods are best, you have a little more room to store things and it's a neater look.
Kitchen review.
Verity Jayne
That looks like quite a small kitchen for a family.
Maximising space is all about using every nook and cranny as wisely as possible. There's not much else you can change about the layout. However, you can be clever with your cabinet design to make the most out of it. Here's some things to think about...

build your cupboards right up to the ceiling
put drawers inside your pantry cupboard
in fact, put drawers where ever you can
remember, open shelves are for displaying pretty things and for that feeling of openness. You might not want to sacrifice the storage space.
integrated ranghoods are best, you have a little more room to store things and it's a neater look.

Am wondering how might drawers help to maximise space? I would have thought they would reduce it and that more shelves would be better?
Storing things in a drawer is much more accessible than storing them on a shelf. You can pull it out toward you and dig around in it. Therefore you can fill it with more items and easily get to the things at the back of the cupboard.
Your fridge in the corner has the wall level with fridge, if so, your fridge door won't open, fridge needs to be 75mm out from wall in oder for left door to open fully.

Hi all, i have attached an updated plan and was hoping for some feedback/suggestions? Thanks
I don't like the way the kitchen is split down the middle. Could you not move the kitchen layout to the meals area and combine meals & dining as one?
Nope. Can’t move from current location. Thanks
Related
24/03/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

You never have a fridge against wall as you’ve drawn. The doors can’t open past 90 degrees and it’s difficult and maybe impossible to remove drawers

12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum