Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Island bench orientation help

Page 1 of 1
We are building our first house and we are a bit stuck with the kitchen design. The kitchen is located in an open plan area but we have earmarked an area 3.4m x 4m for the kitchen.

Is there any design rule that suggests you need the island 'facing' the living area/alresco? Our builder made comment that this is the best way to go, but the downside to this is that it only permits a 1.8m island (when adhering to the 1.2m space between island and cabinets rule (image 1). With this design, I am having trouble fitting a double sink, dishwasher, double cupboard under sink, draws and the .9m recommended prep area.

If we run the island with the length of the room (facing the stairwell, image 2) we can achieve a 2.2m long island that fits the above. However, it is not facing the rest of the room.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above options. I guess it is a case of room 'flow' versus practicality. Any other suggestions welcome.

Option 1

Options 2
Option two.
I designed my kitchen and I didn't adhere to the triangle rule at all. Imo it was made up by someone who never actually used a kitchen. Lol.
I would also consider a L shaped island then you'd get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for your response. I like option 2 as well. I tried playing around with an L shape but couldn't make it work with regard to have a clear 900mm prep space.
I think option 2 is better especially if you plan to use the island as a breakfast bar type place and have stools then the people sitting at it are not facing their back to the rest if the room can still interact or watch tv etc if you do option 1 consider having a square island not triangle and you should end up with more storage etc

I would do option 1 but with a big fat square island that goes all the way up in line with the end of the pantry!!that would be super impressive and give you lots more space for all your requirements.

smnb
I think option 2 is better especially if you plan to use the island as a breakfast bar type place and have stools then the people sitting at it are not facing their back to the rest if the room can still interact or watch tv etc if you do option 1 consider having a square island not triangle and you should end up with more storage etc

Rectangle not triangle lol sorry

smnb, on a separate note, do you see any issue with the fridge location? Or would you switch the position with the pantry? If the fridge is moved I guess you would have the put a little partition wall for the end
I don't know if it's too late, but I would put all your tall units on the oven wall side. It will make your kitchen feel more open.
Option, 2,very similar to our layout which was changed from island in option 1,works really well, and if using regularly you will regret not been able to watch TV as in option 1, option 2 all the way.

Definitely number 2.

The kitchen triangle prep thing was created in the forties for separate kitchens with not much in the way of labour saving devices, for people who didn't have such sedentary lifestyles, and had largish families.... move around your kitchen!

Unless you are prepping meals for constant partying, or a family of ten, or are doing professional catering from home, the few seconds here or there don't matter that much - with the caveat that you don't have minor or major mobility issues. But I'd say that's not the case from your design.

Have you decided?
Related
24/04/2024
Screed Orientation

General Discussion

Hi Everyone, Looking for opinions on how to orient…

28/04/2024
Question about orientation

Building A New House

Hi, My first post here. I got an plot of land that is at an angle to the road & facing South-East. I read a planning guide on house orientation and the attached layout…

7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum