Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Upper cabinetry depth

Page 1 of 1
We will shortly be at the stage where we finalise kitchen cabinetry on our new home build.

Im just wondering peoples thoughts on having the upper cabinetry the same depth as the lower. For me i will not be having either a cooktop or sink on the benchtop in this area, it will just be for my kettle and using other small appliances.

The idea was to try and get the whole area looking flush and level iykwim (with the exception of the fridge doors as they have to poke out a little, which will also be on the same wall)

Also the cabinets will be handleless

Wouldn't the overheads get in the way a bit when you actually use this benchspace? I would think it would be harder to access things at the back of the space, and to also see what you were doing properly? Just my thoughts though.
Its a very personal choice but I think it all looks very heavy when the overheads are the same depth as the base cabinets
If you made the splashback higher maybe .. But I agree it might look heavy. If you made the base deeper the fridge wouldn't have to stick out, I think you'd notice this more than having the overheads a different depth. We're doing 700 deep base cabinets and 400d overheads with 750 high splashback. The fridge will be recessed .
To be able to open the fridge doors they would have to be poking out or you would need to have a much wider gap either side. Also it would affect opening more than 90 degrees which in turn may affect the pulling out drawers etc. Ive contemplated both options but decided for a tighter cabinet fit with doors protruding purely for ease of access to drawers etc for cleaning.

sjl81
To be able to open the fridge doors they would have to be poking out or you would need to have a much wider gap either side. Also it would affect opening more than 90 degrees which in turn may affect the pulling out drawers etc. Ive contemplated both options but decided for a tighter cabinet fit with doors protruding purely for ease of access to drawers etc for cleaning.

You really needed to specify which overheads your were talking about.

All fridge cabinets should be the same depth as the base cabinets. This is an industry standard and done 99% of the time.

If your talking about proper overheads, as in the ones above your bench tops then they are usually set back at around 330mm deep.
Yeah i was originally talking about overheads above the benchtop not the fridge, but when previous poster mentioned about being more worried about the fridge door poking out just thought i should address why i felt that necessary and not recess it. In an ideal world I would have had the rear kitchen wall cabinetry completely floor to ceiling to achieve the flush look but need more benchtop for small appliances as dont want unsightly power points on my island. I dont have the option of the fridge being on a different wall so inevitibly this isnt going to ever be flush with cabinetry. I really dont want it to look odd though with deep overheads and struggling to find sample pics so looks like i'll just go standard overheads

The best way would be to split the height of the overheads and have the extreme uppers 600mm deep
Related
22/10/2023
Drop (Deepened) Edge Beam maximum depth/height

Building A New House

The distance between my DEBs varies from 4.1m at the narrowest to 8.1m at the widest.

29/10/2023
Sewer line minimum depth in NSW

Building A New House

Hi, only for walking. It is a narrow 1.5m paved area next to house.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum