Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Cupboards Or Drawers?

Page 1 of 2
Maybe I'm an oddity but I prefer cupboards over drawers. My husband who used to own his own kitchen manufacturing company is a firm drawer fan. We are having quite a standard kitchen with cupboards built in our new home, (they wouldn't allow us to build the whole thing), with plans that after handover my husband will convert them all to drawers. Really hoping he can't be bothered when that happens as I do like a nice roomy cupboard.
Drawers, drawers, drawers! You never have to reach in and try to pull things out (with the cupboard doors hindering you). Full extension drawers deliver all of the contents of your cupboard straight into your waiting hands.
Drawers the more the better! So much better than loosing things in the back of cabinets.

Doors are cheaper than drawers though!
cupboards can have drawers put in them with inserts. drawers are just drawers.
renoauction
cupboards can have drawers put in them with inserts. drawers are just drawers.

That is true, but if your an average person without many DIY skills good luck finding someone to put a set of drawers into one existing cabinet.

Much better to just do it now!
Drawers. I hate cupboards. Being short I can never reach into the back of most cupboards and can never see behind whatever is in front. We had to pay a big chunk to change our cupboards to drawers but it will be worth it.

GOT 70% DRAWS, AND MAKES LIFE so much easier ,less bending and no reaching right to the back,just as easy with draws when getting plates out from the back,you wont regret getting draws,cant believe no body done lots of draws untill last 5 years.
Drawers, drawers, drawers.
Here's ours. I have a huge walk it pantry for the large appliances.
Can't wait 'til it's built!
Hijacking this thread a little, but has anyone had cupboards installed (to save cost and builders margin etc) when building, then post-handover installed drawers inside those cupboards?
Buildingourfirstnest
Hijacking this thread a little, but has anyone had cupboards installed (to save cost and builders margin etc) when building, then post-handover installed drawers inside those cupboards?

No don't do it!

It will cost you a lot more money to do it this way.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
Buildingourfirstnest

No don't do it!

It will cost you a lot more money to do it this way.

Mind explaining why? I thought it was more the mechanics of installing the multi drawer system (like those blum or hafele ones) within the cupboard.
First off trying to find a cabinet maker willing to retro fit drawers to an existing kitchen will be very hard.

Drawers behind doors are a real pain to use and not practical so the means you have to throw out the doors and shelf for each cabinet. Then order new drawer faces and built all the drawers. Yes it can be done but it will cost you more in the long run.
Have got 18 draws, 16 doors, use draws 90% of the time, as kitchen bits N pieces used regularly are much easier to get from draws, if you have a good mix, you will become a fan.

I didn't know drawers were a thing till I went to ikea. Now they just make more sense I'll be having nothing but drawers when I build.
I love drawers. My kitchens is all drawers. Better organisation and use of space.

I have been disappointed with the longevity (or lack of) with my drawers. The runners started failing after only 5 years on the most used drawers and several more had failed after 10 years. By this time exact replacement runners were no longer available and it became increasingly difficult to retro fit different sets of runners.
Hi Beetaloo

Drawer technology has come a long way in the last 10 years and is far more accessible to the average person today.

With high quality drawers easily capable of 65kg loads with full extension bearing runners, drawers really are the go to item for maximising your kitchen space.

What sort of drawers or runners do you have?
Beetaloo
I have been disappointed with the longevity (or lack of) with my drawers. The runners started failing after only 5 years on the most used drawers and several more had failed after 10 years. By this time exact replacement runners were no longer available and it became increasingly difficult to retro fit different sets of runners.

What sort of runners are they?

I only use blum softclose runners and never have an issue them.
I beg to differ, Cupboards are better over drawer because of its size as well as capacity. We can put more luggage in cupboards, however in the drawers you just put limited things. So I prefer cupboards.
albertsean
I beg to differ, Cupboards are better over drawer because of its size as well as capacity. We can put more luggage in cupboards, however in the drawers you just put limited things. So I prefer cupboards.

You put luggage in your kitchen?

You do realise this is a kitchen forum? Sure I agree with you if we were talking about wardrobes but its a fact that drawers give you far better access to your space in a kitchen!
Related
27/04/2024
750mm wide joinery - drawers?

General Discussion

Pulse is correct. It's the trap that takes up space. The plan shows a vessel style basin so you don't have to worry about a basin inset, it's just the trap that the…

12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum