Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

DIY Stone Benchtop Polishing?

Page 1 of 1
Is it possible, or advisable to attempt to polish my reconstituted stone benchtop myself? If so how often should it be done?

Scenario:

I had my kitchen fit on a budget, poly kitchen with white stone benchtops. Everything is great except around one of the benchtop joints there is a rough finish. It looks like they haven't cleaned away the cement/epoxy that was used to glue the pieces together.

I had the installer out yesterday to check the issue. He tried to polish out the marks, although polishing removed the marks, it left a freshly polished line on the benchtop, which stands out almost as badly. I'm therefore thinking that I have two options, (i) leave it as it and ignore it, (ii) polish the entire benchtop so it all looks the same. The installer isn't willing to polish the entire benchtop.

So, should I go and buy a polisher, then DIY polish the entire benchtop, then use a sealant. Is this a terrible idea where I could do more harm than good?

I'm assuming that getting another company in to polish the entire benchtop would be a costly exercise (probably 8m of benchtop).

Related
4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

23/01/2024
Interior stone wall DIY

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi Would love some advice on a DIY project I've dived into that's now keeping me up at night. We've got a cool 1970's Mid Century style house here in NZ and have always…

1/04/2024
Holes in mitred edge of stone benchtop

General Discussion

Hi Courtney The mitred edges are glued up with epoxy so those little holes and gaps are areas that weren't filled correctly. Silicone is the wrong product to fill them…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum