Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Drawer sizes

Page 1 of 1
Hi
We are doing all our cabinets under the bench top as drawers with shadowlines ie handles.

Now we have the decision to make on whether we to go for 2 deep drawers with a hidden drawer inside the top one or 1 small drawer and 2 medium. By this I'm referring to number of drawers going from bench top down to floor.

Is there any advantage of one over the other? Both seem popular so I am not sure which is best. Would like to know any pros and cons!

Thanks!
We went through the same decision process. We ended up with 3 drawers on one side because:

1) Didn't want to open 2 drawers to get to the inner drawer, which, in our case, was going to be the cutlery drawer.
2) We needed somewhere to place a power point as well as a switch for the induction stove (this is an island bench), so we would have had to have a panel at the top of the set of drawers on one side.

On the other, we went with one "deep" drawer, and two inner drawers, because we wanted it to match the cupboard and slide out waste bins. We also don't use those drawers as much, and when we do, we often need to use two at a time (one side for tea/coffee making, the other for Al foil, Gladwrap, ziplock bags, napkins, paper towels etc).

But we are using Blum mechanical push to open drawers, so no handles or shadowline, hence why matching is even more important.
Thanks for your reply PHL. We are using PLUM but our cabinet maker said we would need shadow line. Are the mechanical push a lot more expensive?

Id rather just do two but for the same reason as you I don't want to open two drawers to get a fork out!

Those people with two drawers does this bother you? Or is it one of those things that when I have it I won't care?

Thanks!
The Tip-On didn't add much more from memory. The problem with flush mount drawers and cupboards is they are harder to do right; any discrepancy is immediately visible as there are no handles or shadowline to break up the surface.

FWIW, we have another system in the our en suite, and the system isn't as smooth as the Blum, even though it was done by the same cabinet maker at the same time.
Hi Sarah.
If you go for 2 drawers, with a concealed drawer in side the top drawer, you effectively end up with 1 deep drawer and 2 shallow drawers.
Your second option gives you 2 medium drawers with a shallow drawer above.
That is my normal preferred option because it's the most flexible with the added advantage of not having to open the one drawer to access the second.
It really does depend on what you plan on using the drawers for though.
Finger pulls also reduce the available height inside each drawer. If you really want to maximise your drawer depths then handles or push too open (tip-on) is the best option.
With shadowline you loose 50mm of drawer height over normal handles because of the rail that is required. The more drawers you have the more space you loose.
Related
31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum