Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Solid Timber Benchtops

Page 1 of 1
Our house has stone benchtops and laminate vanities as standard inclusions. My husband is a joiner/cabinetmaker and we have just come across a supply of beautiful Australian hardwood timber that would make stunning benchtops and vanity tops. We're both keen as to go ahead with the idea. Its not our forever home, we will want to sell sometime in the next 5 years so do you think this would be a good selling point?
If the stone bench tops are inclusion, you'd have to weigh up if timber tops would add value or not. If you could shift it to the left and have vanity stone tops and timber kitchen that would work out. But you are already getting a good deal on the stone top inclusion.
Personally I would stick with the stone in the kitchen for hygiene and maintenance.

But the hardwood would look fantastic as vanity tops I reckon.
I've done wood for my vanities and will do hardwood for our kitchen - photo of vanity below
. Personal taste I guess

AKB
I've done wood for my vanities and will do hardwood for our kitchen - photo of vanity below
. Personal taste I guess

Wow! Your bathroom is stunning. We are thinking at this stage do the vanities, the bench in the butlers pantry and island bench in wood but keep the main work bench as stone. Or, also keep the island bench as stone but build a small unit just to the side of the kitchen in the dining room with a matching wood top or even the whole thing in the same wood to bring that wood feature into the main living area.
I was at some stage thinking of doing our kitchen island in stone and everything else hardwood - but I'm a sucker for wood so it wins out
Love your bathroom AKB! Just gorgeous
how does the wood stand up to the moisture introduced by everyday use? Is it treated with aditional chemicals, or is it poly'd over? would wax be effective? Just curious, as Ive always considdered stone for longevity, but I prefer a nice hardwood.
They waxed our vanities although part of the reason we went teak is because that is what was initially used in boat building. We have a solid Timber Jarrah worktop on our kitchen benches that are at least 15 years old and they stand up beautifully
Yes, your solid timber benchtops will definitely be a selling point for your house next time. They will give your house charm and character. However, do keep in mind that you have to continuously maintain your timber benchtops so that they look as good as new by the time you decide to sell your house.
AKB
. Personal taste I guess

]

Your bathroom looks great but there is more to it than just personal taste!

Timber bench tops especially in kitchens require maintenance(sanding and refinishing) and need to be refinished every couple of years. Depending on the species of timber they can show dents and marks as well.

Stone doesn't have any of these problems. For someone looking to buy a house this is a vey real consideration!

Personally if I were building a house to sell in a few years time I would always use stone in the kitchen and bathrooms!
We went for both, stone & timber

Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

18/08/2023
Engineered Timber Installation - Floating vs Direct stick

General Discussion

Thanks Simon, I guess I'm no concerned with the volume of the noise rather that dead and hollow sound and feel that is associated with floating floors. But I'm not sure…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum