Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Anyone With Black Cabinets?

Page 1 of 1
Trying to select as much of our colours as possible BEFORE our colour appointment and having some what of a hard time trying to get a black laminate for our base cupboards.

We are wanting to do a "Black and White" theme throughout the house and the Kitchen area will be White porcelain tiles, Black base cabinets, White stone tops and White overhead cupboards.

Building with Clarendon and they only have a plain black in a Matt finish and not in a Sheen.
Spoke to a chap in a kitchen shop near home today and he explained why...
The standard black sheen apparently has swirl like marks that looks like it's badly scratched. He had a cabinet in store done in this so we had a look and yeah.. it looked bad!!

Anyhow.. I have seen a timber grain look laminate in black that sort of looks ok but have only seen it in small samples.
Its a Polytec product called "Mombasa" Sheen.

Has anyone got this in their kitchen that they can share some pics of?
Or maybe a alternative you can suggest?

We could get a Gloss Black in Createc but from what I understand it's very very expensive!!
An idea of what we are trying to achieve..

Red glass splashback may be carried through to the front of the island bench (brothers that are glaziers lol)

Sorry not much help but if you are going for a woodgrain look on drawers it looks nicer in a horizontal pattern. Wish we paid to make ours horizontal! Costs a bit more but might be worth it if you use it like in the picture
Roomeat
Building with Clarendon and they only have a plain black in a Matt finish and not in a Sheen.
The standard black sheen apparently has swirl like marks that looks like it's badly scratched. He had a cabinet in store done in this so we had a look and yeah.. it looked bad!!

!!

You haven't mentioned what material you are talking about here???

When you say standard black sheen what are you talking about??

I haven't come across a product that has swirl like marks in it. Sounds like an excuse to me!!
Try a product called stylite super high gloss and comes in black, no swirls and no imperfections that can come from a bad 2pac sprayer

http://stylelite.net

CuttingEdgeKitchens
Roomeat

!!

You haven't mentioned what material you are talking about here???

When you say standard black sheen what are you talking about??

I haven't come across a product that has swirl like marks in it. Sounds like an excuse to me!!

Sorry my bad.
It's Polytec Melamine. Std finishes available from Clarendon
xxkatxx
Sorry not much help but if you are going for a woodgrain look on drawers it looks nicer in a horizontal pattern. Wish we paid to make ours horizontal! Costs a bit more but might be worth it if you use it like in the picture

Great idea. Will keep it in mind of i can't get a straight gloss black
Anyone else?
Would have thought there would be a few with black?

Formica Cuban Wood Gloss - quite dark but not black although looks nice with white, we are going this bottom with white gloss top cupboards

Hahaha that's my kitchen! If you want something really dark I wouldn't recommend the cuban wood...doesn't give that effect. It does have black bits in it but overall looks grey in person.
xxkatxx
Hahaha that's my kitchen! If you want something really dark I wouldn't recommend the cuban wood...doesn't give that effect. It does have black bits in it but overall looks grey in person.

Oh wow!! Your kitchen was our inspiration for using it!!

Awww that's sweet haha it looks a lot better now that it's all finished!
Thanks guys.
Not as dark as I'm wanting but it looks great!
Hey Roo found these for you at a display home in melb. Not the best pics but black
TraceyWayne
Hey Roo found these for you at a display home in melb. Not the best pics but black

Yum.. Now they look just stunning!! Very sophisticated (to me anyhow lol)
Am thinking I am going to have to spend a bucket load more on kitchen to get the gloss black.
A friend has a gloss black kitchen and it looks really good. Also seen a couple of kitchen in 'Licorice Linea' -- very nice.
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum