Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

HELP on kitchen layout - Please

Page 1 of 1
Hi all
I have my plans from builder based on a display home kitchen plan. I am generally fine with it but I have some niggling thoughts on the kitchen island layout. It has a dishwasher recess but i'd also like to capture a microwave recess under bench (I have avoided having this up hight after being burnt previously!), and I'm happy to forgo a pull out bin drawer as I don't use them (I'm happy to have one in cupboard under sink). I would like a draw under the microwave recess which should be straight forward enough.

My sink shown will change to a double under mount and the island width change to 1.2m. Overhead cupboards will be installed after handover. I'm getting two banks of drawers either side of oven with two narrow oven tray cupboards immediately beside oven. I know this will create issues with cupboard at end so I need to think about that too. One suggestion is to put a narrow strip of laminate in verticlal position about 20 - 30mm wide at end of drawers so that the drawers can pull out without hitting any cupboard handles. I think i can solve this one.

HOWEVER, does anyone have any ideas on better island layout? I'm getting really confused on this one.
The bench is 2790mm long, dishwasher recess 610mm, I want a bank of cutlery drawers (450mm enough?) in here (not fussed if not right next to dishwasher) but mostly i'd like to fit all this in with keeping the sink central. If I can't keep the sink central id rather have it more heavily to one end than other, rather than just off centre which will probably bug me forever.

Please let me know if the links to images dont work. First time I've tried it! Thank you!
I would prefer to have a way to insert these photos but I struggled to get photobucket to cooperate and I don't do IT or kitchens very well

https://www.dropbox.com/s/verqvqs3fahuv ... m.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m96xogn8nxgkk ... m.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iizq3t26kvg93 ... m.png?dl=0
first of all I would not accept a bench height of 86cm unless I'm less than 158cm tall.

Why are in your kitchen the base cabinets all with doors? This is a very cheap and outdated kitchen design. Do yourself a favour and request soft-close pullout drawers where it is possible. Your kitchen will have truckloads more of storage space which is easily accessible. No more digging after something at the back, no more bending down. You might have to pay a little bit more but it is worse every penny.

From what I gather, the bit from the pantry to the cooker is a simple cabinet with one shelf through the lot and doors. Awful. If you give me the measurements of your kitchen (pantry to fridge and distance to island) I'll draw you plan.

Make sure that you have at least one shallow drawer on either side of the cooker, where you can store kitchen helpers, spices, cutting boards, glad wrap, small plastic bags, siccor, scale, tea towels and so forth.

You want the island to be 120cm deep. What do you plan/wish for the other side?

In the plan below the carcas is 780mm high.
Beginning from left

side panel
dishwasher
80cm wide cabinet for double sink, undermount
40cm wide cabinet with 2 equal drawers. The top drawer is for the bin, the bottom for higher bottles (example)
90cm wide cabinet with 2 shallow drawers and 2 deeper drawers.
The top shallow drawer is for cutlery, the one below for kitchen helpers.
the 3rd drawer for plates and bowls
side panel

on the back
beginning plan left

side panel
80 wide cabinet with 3 equal drawers
80 wide cabinet with 2 shallow and 2 deep drawers
80 wide cabinet with equal drawers
side panel

Related
24/03/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

You never have a fridge against wall as you’ve drawn. The doors can’t open past 90 degrees and it’s difficult and maybe impossible to remove drawers

12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum