Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Timber veneer vs laminate

Page 1 of 1
We're considering using timber veneer for our cabinetry because we don't much like laminex but don't want to go super-expensive and get actual solid timber. Is there much of a difference in quality between cabinetry made out of laminate and that made from timber veneer? What's the difference between the two?
I doubt you are actually looking at laminate doors. I believe they would probably be a prefinished melamine! Fully laminated doors are vary rarely done in kitchens these days!

Both melamine and veneer have the same core material with a thin layer of either melamine or veneer on the outside.

A veneer door needs to have a clear coat of polyurethane once cut to size. Both wear similarly.
Thanks cutting. In your opinion, do you think the timber veneer looks nicer than melamine/laminate, or is it much of a muchness?
trixee
Thanks cutting. In your opinion, do you think the timber veneer looks nicer than melamine/laminate, or is it much of a muchness?

I hate melamine/laminate. I think it looks cheap!

If your looking at veneer also consider laminexs new range of Finished Designs veneers.
Thanks will check that out. Aside from veneer, what other types of door would you recommend for something that looks nice/not cheap?
Polyurethane (2pac) or Crystal Gloss
CuttingEdgeKitchens

If your looking at veneer also consider laminexs new range of Finished Designs veneers.

+1

Hey Trixee, we too wanted the wood look without the cost so have all our cabinetry being done in the new Laminex Nuance range. It has a rough, wood like texture to it. There is the Nuance and also the Riven ranges, both a gorgeous. And to give you a guide on cost, we are building in Perth and the cost to do kitchen, scullery, laundry, bathrooms & powder upgraded to the Nuance finish was roughly $1k. That includes overheads.
That sounds quite good cost wise!
trixee

That's what I thought ... I was expecting much more.
Marcia
trixee

That's what I thought ... I was expecting much more.

Price wise between veneer and the new Laminex Finished Designs range there isn't much difference unless you use a very expensive veneer.
Interesting. Will go to Laminex showroom tomorrow and check it out.
Natural veneers and the designed timber veneers are both quite expensive options.
The natural veneered boards need to be cut up into the required sizes, edged and then finished in a coating of your choice, that adds to the cost. The designed timber veneers are a true laminated product. The timber is manufactured and stuck on a laminate that is then stuck to one or both sides of a sheet. This sheet is then cut up and edged.
The raw products for both are expensive to start of with.

The textured melamine finishes like riven and nuance are a lot cheaper as it's just worked in exactly the same way as standard melamine product and the raw cost of the sheets is a lot cheaper than the natural or DTV.

If you can find a textured melamine you like you will save a lot of money.
Timber veneers are really pretty but quite expensive.

Some of the textured melamines look very convincing now. Unfortunately the colour range is a bit limited at the moment compared to veneers and basic melamine.
Hi Trixee,
Take a look at the new range of embossed timber grain melamines from Polytec. These have the look and feel of veneer board, without all the hassle. You would be good to tell the difference. Embossed means they have the texture of the wood grain on the board, so it feels like timber. Their new range has just been release. see below for the link.

hope this helps.

http://www.polytec.com.au/brochures/Pol ... V6_web.pdf
Can anyone tell me roughly how much I might expect to pay for 4 x under bench cupboard doors in a laminex timber veneer? Many thanks
It depends on which laminex range and also the colour
Related
21/05/2023
Replacing brick veneer?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Great advice, thanks Alex

27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum