Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

dishwasher

Page 2 of 3
My Mum used one of those externally heated irons till she sold the farm 2 years ago......had it on the wood stove. No wood stove now so I don't think she irons
She also still uses a manual typewriter and a treddle sewing machine... Her brother calls her a phillistine...

On dishwasher topic, agree with putting one in just in case and for resale value.

Em
I would put one in like others have said for resale value at least. And I agree they do make a great place to keep the bin. It sounds like you have plenty of cupboard space anyway.
The place we're building comes with one and at this stage I'll use the space for rubbish bin instead. Some times I think it would be nice to have one (kids are still too young to do the dishes) but another part of me resists (and I don't mean the husband part
althought that's a factor).

I guess the question is - how hard will it be to put one in later on? Has anyone done this, and what sort of cost is involved compared to doing it whilst building? Reason I say that is because if you are dead set against getting one for yourself, then come the time to sell you could always do a mini renovation (if it's going to be worth it at the time) and put one in just for resale value.

We had a little Unit in the NT that we painted and upgraded some lights, ceiling fans. Unfortunately we couldn't put a dish washer in as it would have left too little cupboard space in the kitchen. Would have liked to though (for resale).
Quote:
I guess the question is - how hard will it be to put one in later on? Has anyone done this, and what sort of cost is involved compared to doing it whilst building? Reason I say that is because if you are dead set against getting one for yourself, then come the time to sell you could always do a mini renovation (if it's going to be worth it at the time) and put one in just for resale value.

As previous posters have said and as our builder told us, it is very easy to put one in later if provision has been set up for one at the time of building - ie cupboard space, plumbing provision, power point have been done.
then it is little more than removing the cupboard door and the cost will just be that of the dishwasher itself and the standard cost of installation, ie the same cost as someone replacing a broken one. (or DIY)
At this stage I'm still waiting for the first formal house plans to come back with measurements on them but I'm hoping i'll have a decent amount of cupboard space. In which case I'm going to go with the "space for a future one" option.
Hoping that the cost of having the plumbing to suit and the power switch works out equal to having the cupboard there. Hey Pebble how long did this stage take for you? I was hoping we'd have them this week but I've arrived home today to no mail

I really want to push the "prestart" meeting to pretty much straight away once we get the first plans since we've already picked out our choices.
No need for a delay while we select items ( assuming that's why the 4 wk standard gap)For those who don't know/ haven't realised, Pebble is building with the same builder as I am. About 70 kms from me.
And your username here reminds me heaps of my nearest neighbour who's name is Kaz!

I think I misunderstood your question a bit in the PM, but from when we got our plans to PreStart there was certainly no delay or waiting period required. Mind you we had to make sure that in the week that my husband was home we both got the plans and had the pre-start before he went back to work, so we did pre-book the pre-start date two or three weeks in advance, and then changed to adjust for plans not arriving when expected.

So come Monday, give them a call, ask when the plans are coming / if they have been sent and book your pre-start accordingly. Hopefully they are not too booked out as that's the only reason you would have to wait longer.
thanks for that Pebble. There are only 2 things we really need to delay for. One is to get hold of the local guy we think we can get to do cabling to see what he suggests. Can't really talk to him until we have our plans but then its full steam ahead. The 2nd is we are trying to get hold of the developer since he offered to remove a couple of trees for free when we put in a purchase offer. they will be within the building zone and need to go before the builder can start. ( why pay for the builders site works people to do it when we've got it happening for free) he's spoken to the sales agent recently asking when w e want the trees removed. (we are leaving most of the trees. It's only a couple that have to go) But we haven't been able to get hold of him each time we've rung him.
i would have to say no - its a waste of money! wats the issue with handwashing..? hehhe
Sorry, I just had to post in favour of dishwashers.

We had one in our last property, but had to sell it with the house. Then we moved into a rental while we build our new house.

The rental does not have a dishwasher & I am sick, sick, sick of washing up by hand. I just cannot wait until we move into our new house. The dishwasher is one of the things I am so looking foward to !
Our new place has a dishwasher. YAY! FINALLY no more washing of dishes every night! (mostly)

I grew up with a dishwasher but for the past 5 years since I left home and have been renting, I've had to "lower myself" to the immense tedium of manual labour.

Our new dishwasher is a Nobel....does anyone know of this brand? It came with the apartment (which is 12 years old). Does anyone know how likely we'll be to have to replace it any time soon? How long do older models last?
grace_slick
Our new dishwasher is a Nobel....does anyone know of this brand? It came with the apartment (which is 12 years old). Does anyone know how likely we'll be to have to replace it any time soon? How long do older models last?

http://www.nobel.com.au/ still around....European brand.

It may be nearing the end of it's life but if it's lasted this long it may go for ever. We're replacing the one in the established house we bought because it's a bit of a water guzzler and the LG allows us to do half washes and high temperature washes.
I spoke to our contact at teh builders tonight and it seems they charge $340 for a dishwasher space whihc includes a tap and the power point. hmm i was thinking all i'd need was the "trap" to_do_list mentioned and a powerpoint. I'm not to excited by a tap given we won't be putting in a dishwasher and that it is just for future resale value. I was even thinking I could avoid the power point since there will be one directly above the bench space that could be "tapped" into at a later stage to get a power point below the bench if a dishwasher was wanted. Anyone got any thoughts on if a tap is really necessary right now given we will NOT be putting a dishwasher in?
kexkez
I spoke to our contact at the builders tonight and it seems they charge $340 for a dishwasher space which includes a tap and the power point. hmm i was thinking all i'd need was the "trap" to_do_list mentioned and a powerpoint. I'm not to excited by a tap given we won't be putting in a dishwasher and that it is just for future resale value. I was even thinking I could avoid the power point since there will be one directly above the bench space that could be "tapped" into at a later stage to get a power point below the bench if a dishwasher was wanted. Anyone got any thoughts on if a tap is really necessary right now given we will NOT be putting a dishwasher in?
kexkez
I spoke to our contact at teh builders tonight and it seems they charge $340 for a dishwasher space whihc includes a tap and the power point. hmm i was thinking all i'd need was the "trap" to_do_list mentioned and a powerpoint. I'm not to excited by a tap given we won't be putting in a dishwasher and that it is just for future resale value. I was even thinking I could avoid the power point since there will be one directly above the bench space that could be "tapped" into at a later stage to get a power point below the bench if a dishwasher was wanted. Anyone got any thoughts on if a tap is really necessary right now given we will NOT be putting a dishwasher in?

It might cost $340 now but when you sell some poor razzled mother will pay $5000 more just for a dishwasher!!
kexkez

The price probably not only includes the plumbing and electricals, but the cabinetry changes to make this a proper disshwasher space....removable kick board, and as Kevin said the slight wider opening, and also making sure you can pull the melamine carcass out without having to pull apart adjacent cupboards.

Oh and our dishwasher space had tiles underneath it not just the bare concrete....not sure if that is standard.
kexkez, where does the tap go?

If it is just an unconnected tap which sits under the bench, hidden in the cupboard space, I think I would go ahead with it.

We are doing the same as you, but a dishwasher provision is included as standard in our package so can't tell you how much they are charging for this.
Not sure if it is an actual tap or just plumbing connections.
Bibs and bobs needed:

Dishwasher trap with the little doover for the waste from the dishwasher

Dishwasher tap - generally a simple tap or valve

Power connection in adjacent cupboard separate from dishwasher

Basic instructions (US but still applicable)
http://www.plumbing-troubleshooter.com/ ... mbing.html
http://www.plumbing-troubleshooter.com/ ... lling.html

Actually not a bad general site....

And at the end of the toilet replacement section it gives testing advice

Eat one can of beans, wait four hours, grab a newspaper and tell the family the toilet is out of bounds for an hour:)
Paul we won't be in a rush to sell. The example being , we stayed in our last house 19 years.
We don't plan to sell this house at all. But you never can tell what might happen.
We've just been informed that they left out a wall of insulation and have to add that between the main bedroom and garage.. blah additional cost. so i don't want to add anything additional to the cost if i can avoid it. I have plans for additional $ spending that I I haven't sprung on DH yet and that I'd rather have than a dishwasher space. I don't one more small thing to be the straw that .... You get the picture.

Hmm shouldn't be a need for removable kickboards if its an empty space under the bench top. I don't want a cupboard there at all. I want my cork flooring in the space.
Do it now Kezkex -

The cost to do it after the fact will be far greater than the $340 you'll pay now.

As I mentioned in earlier part of this thread, I gave my parents a dishwasher (they had never had one) but due to health issues i thought it would help them out & their 1980's style kitchen had been pre-fitted with exactly as you described above, powerpoint, slip in cupboard section, tap and sink connection.

1/2 a day later - dishwasher was installed and they now love it

Question - if for some unexp[ected reason illness or an accident affected your life - would you like the option of it being an esy thing to install a dishwasher at the lowest cost if needed ?
Besides - a good dishwasher used properly can actually use less water than washing up in the sink per week.
Leave it with you.
Steve
you are right steve. now i just need to convince dh
given we are setting the house up for wheelchair user suitability it would be nice to have this done as well.
kexkez
you are right steve. now i just need to convince dh
given we are setting the house up for wheelchair user suitability it would be nice to have this done as well.

Makes it an absolute must I'd say....budget depending. On Steve's point I was skeptical about dishwashers and water use....until I worked out that according to the the difference between manual washing and dishwasher washing was about 2.5 sinks of water to 0.5 sinks of water (OK we had deep sinks) convinced me and DW that it was worth doing......of course they do use power so damned it your do....etc
Related
31/01/2024
Bosch dishwasher

General Discussion

I am installing a new Bosch SMU4HTS01A built under dushwasher. I have 2 questions. What is the function of the metal strip about 500mm long x 60mm wide the tell you to…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum