Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Pantry Door

Page 1 of 1
I'm needing some advice as my builder says what I want isn't possible but I'm sure it is and I'm willing to have it set up and ready to do after handover if need be.

I want a walk in pantry door that is made of the same material as my cabinets (not chosen yet but builders standard range is Formica) and would prefer it to swing inwards but also happy with swinging both ways or outwards if that is the only way it will work.

At the moment the door opening is 820mm for a normal door but this can be adjusted as I will just extend/shorten the rest of the cabinets. The door will have to go up to a 28c bulkhead (approx 2.4m I think?).

My builder is saying I would need 2 doors and have them swing outwards only...but I'm not liking that option for practicality reasons. He says anything bigger will warp and just isn't possible?

This is my kitchen layout:
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u403/xxkat86xx/a63a9d55.png

This is a link for one I found on Houzz but this one swings out which is ok for their kitchen because they have a wall there where as my pantry is next to the entrance to the kitchen and could knock someone out with the door....
http://www.houzz.com/photos/297475/Walk ... hen-sydney

Any ideas or comments are appreciated!!

Thanks
Your builder is actually right. Its very very hard to make a door swing inwards with the materials used to build kitchen cabinets. Also these type of doors shouldnt be any wider than 600mm with that style of hinge!

You best bet is to have the door swung seperately of the cabinet. Use an internal door and have it finished in the same material as the kitchen doors. You can then use 2way hinges.
I asked a similar question here recently, I too had seen some pantry doors that swung inwards, I wanted a handleless door as well. I had seen a similar door from someone on H1 and a had a photo of her hinge. My cabinet maker sourced the same hinge a Hafale hinge and made the door double thickness, i had it installed last week,

Door is looking fantastic gogo!
Thanks jodge, took them a while but happy it was finally installed last week, as suspected it remains open most of the time
Hahaha! Maybe you should get a cat. . . Then you'd close it!
Those hinges look good, but cant be used easily with typical kitchen construction.

It requires a door twice the thickness, they are expensive and take alot of work to get spot on.

They would work perfectly in xxkatx kitchen
CEK,
My plans when drawn up had integrated pantry door opening inward. When we got to construction of the kitchen they tried to get me to use a standard door, but I stood my ground! It took a few weeks for the cabinet maker to source it, even the sales reps at Hafale were hopeless
we did end up with an extra thick door, it looks like they have stuck two laminate panels together with a gap inside if that makes sense
Hey Gogo that door is perfect!!
but I'm worried about the expense of the double thickness...I figured 1 door would be expensive but x 2!! How wide is your door? Were you warned about warping or does the double thickness take away that worry?

CuttingEdge-
When you say to have the door swung separately of the cabinet does that mean to make use of the brick wall next to it? Is it easy to have a normal door with the same finish as the cabinets? Never seen that done so not quite sure how it would look :s
Ours is made from the same materials as the other doors, sprayed with 2 PAC and is 750 x2300 with 5 hinges. Opens out only.
I'm really glad this thread has popped up, we're having the same discussions with our builder at the moment too. I like the seamless look of having the door integrated with the rest of the cabinetry, but at every turn people want to tell you it can't be done. I think builders generally like to err on the side of caution and if there's any chance something might go wrong at their expense, they will try their hardest to avoid it (or charge you a fortune to cover their losses if it does go wrong).

In my case I think we're just going to tuck the door over in the far corner of our kitchen so it is not 'part' of the kitchen, and go with a cavity slider... seems like the easiest solution for us, and given everything in the house seems to have been upgraded I think I'm going to have to let at least one thing go through as standard
xxkatxx
CuttingEdge-
When you say to have the door swung separately of the cabinet does that mean to make use of the brick wall next to it? Is it easy to have a normal door with the same finish as the cabinets? Never seen that done so not quite sure how it would look :s

Yes an inward swinging door needs to be hinged from the brick wall or floor/ceiling.
1sthome
Ours is made from the same materials as the other doors, sprayed with 2 PAC and is 750 x2300 with 5 hinges. Opens out only.

Doesnt really help as the OP wants the door swung inwards.

I also would be concerned about the number of hinges for such a wide door.

I put 5 hinges on a door 500x2300. A door 750x2300 has 1.5 times the material/weight and should have atleast 7 hinges.

Dont stress the hinges will just sag over time and will eventually need replacing.
Our door is 700mm. It has a top and bottom hinge, nothing on the wall side.
Not sure about weight and warping though, it is a fairly substantial door though

I didn't want mine opening outwards as it would most likely be left open by the kids and be a pain in the ar$e....
Related
22/05/2023
Pantry Shelves

Kitchen Corner

Basically. If the shelves are fixed then they will be screwed in just the same as the rest of the carcass. To re move the screws you need to remove that section of…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum