Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

GPO on Island Bench

Page 1 of 2
We are going to put 30mm EssaStone waterwall ends on our island bench, however we wanted to place one GPO on the side of the bench.
At electrical pre-start we were told that it will be more difficult as they will have to cut 30mm stone which will incur additional cost.
Is it worth getting GPO on the island bench or is it better to leave waterfall ends untouched/uncut?
Thanks
I would never put a GPO in a waterfall. I would put it on the back panel between waterfalls if you need one.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
I would never put a GPO in a waterfall. I would put it on the back panel between waterfalls if you need one.

Is there a particular reason? Will it damage the integrity of the waterwall ends?
We have GPO's on our island, but they are in the cupboard.
Ive seen a great idea on here where someone put a PowerPoint in a fake drawer on the front of the island. Instead of pulling the 'drawer' out, it pulled down showing the PowerPoint inside. This could be an option.
AubinGroveFan
CuttingEdgeKitchens

Is there a particular reason? Will it damage the integrity of the waterwall ends?

It looks terriable.
kjw7
Ive seen a great idea on here where someone put a PowerPoint in a fake drawer on the front of the island. Instead of pulling the 'drawer' out, it pulled down showing the PowerPoint inside. This could be an option.

Here is a link to the page with the photos. It is a very cool idea:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53157&start=220

Im having an evoline port installed in the middle of my kitchen island, well, to be more precise I will have a hole with a powerpoint underneath until I can actually afford to buy one!

CuttingEdgeKitchens, do you sell them? I wouldnt mind a quote for the plastic and metal top ones if you are interested in sending one to WA.
I saw that too...who was it??? It was genius.
Only need a small cupboard door to hide it. You wouldn't lose much drawer space for the other drawers.

Was it yours humble? Have we seen yours?
Oops, posted together..yes it was Ruth's!
Great idea
I did the powerpoint inside a shallow alcove behind fold down draw last year, It is at the top right in the picture in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=53075
With flap shut you can still have the cord out due to the shadow line.
Tried using for mobile phone charging, but thin cables got pinched in the hinges. Useful for the occasional electrical item on island, but 99% of time we use frypans etc on the wall bench opposite, not the island.
CuttingEdgeKitchens
AubinGroveFan
CuttingEdgeKitchens

It looks terriable.

I'm guessing thats based on standard GPOs .... or its just an opinion....we have saturn switches.

we have four in the waterfalls and think they are great, very practical as we use them all the time. Our kitchen concept was designed around acres of benchspace...all useable. Have a look and make up your own mind... I think they look great.

I will take some more pics tomorrow..these are from ages ago....geeze the lights werent poped in yet or the painting done lol
sceen7
CuttingEdgeKitchens
[
It looks terriable.

I'm guessing thats based on standard GPOs .... or its just an opinion....we have saturn switches.

we have four in the waterfalls and think they are great, very practical as we use them all the time. Our kitchen concept was designed around acres of benchspace...all useable. Have a look and make up your own mind... I think they look great.

I will take some more pics tomorrow..these are from ages ago....geeze the lights werent poped in yet or the painting done lol

No its all GPOs. I just dont like the look of a nice sleak piece of waterfall stone broken up with a GPO. Just my opinion though.
took a couple more pics today...have a look. The main reason we went for this idea was because of the window splashback, and we didnt want them in the walls beside it as I dont think that would have looked any good either. The ones in the island bench come in handy when there are several cooks in the kitchen...or for the laptop when I am keeping the cook company lol.

If your going to use Saturn power points make sure the tight wad sparky installs the white or coloured frame around them. Costs a couple of bucks per switch. The black makes them look so unfinished and is a bit of a pet hate of mine.

As for power points on a waterfall, I am with Cutting Edge on this one, I reckon they look ordinary, even if they are Saturn. Also on grounds of practicality not a great fan of the fake drawer solution too. Guess there is no really good way with island type benches, give me a wall any day.

And Screen7 is that a light box above your bench or a window?
It could work, but I think you would have to use the ultra slim power points!

Although I do like the idea of the fake draw! Of course you could take it further and have it as a real draw that opens with the power points at the rear so you still have a small draw to!

We actually put our GPO in the panel (to allow space for the services) under the cook tops, using Clipsal Slimline, and because out cabinets are Dulux Grandpiano half, they almost disappear. I have to agree it's a shame to break the clean lines of a waterfall with the GPO; although we didn't have a CS waterfall, only polyurethane, we also opted not to break the clean look. Also by biasing it towards the open bench area, rather than between the cooktops, it can be used for both cooktop and a mixer on the benchtop.

FWIW, they can certainly cut CS; not sure how much more, as it was included in ours, as we have 2 GPOs through our CS splashback.
AJW
If your going to use Saturn power points make sure the tight wad sparky installs the white or coloured frame around them. Costs a couple of bucks per switch. The black makes them look so unfinished and is a bit of a pet hate of mine.

I really like the black trim on the saturn outlets and are having them by choice not price. In my opinion they tie in well with the black cupboards and the
(gorgeous
) black sink in screen7 kitchen.
If it's a modern kitchen and saturn outlets or similar are used, then I think GPO's in an island can work.
mimi23
AJW

I really like the black trim on the saturn outlets and are having them by choice not price. In my opinion they tie in well with the black cupboards and the
(gorgeous
) black sink in screen7 kitchen.
If it's a modern kitchen and saturn outlets or similar are used, then I think GPO's in an island can work.

If your having black in the kitchen then it is a little bit different, and besides they don't make a black frame for obvious reasons! But on a light colour it looks unfinished.
i guess its a matter of taste..as for the surrounds.... IMO the defeat the whole purpose of forking out for saturn, the surround makes the gpo look like a standard fitting. yeah mimi we did work on the color coordination quite hard lol and ty. AJW the splashback is a frosted tempered double glazed window.
Quote:
Im having an evoline port installed in the middle of my kitchen island, well, to be more precise I will have a hole with a powerpoint underneath until I can actually afford to buy one!

The trouble is alt0160 you either spoil the end or side of the island benchtop with a standard GPO or you install one of those evolines and spoil the clean lines of the top of the benchtop.
They don't sit 100% flush with the top of the bench either.
50/50 either way and comes down to personal choice as to what looks better.

Stewie
Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum