Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Bamboo kitchen cupboards/cabinets

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone used bamboo for kitchen cupboards/cabinets?

How does it compare to melamine for cost and durability?

We will be completely redoing our kitchen and need something that will last well in a house with young boys, at a reasonable cost.

Looks are not a key feature; durability and cost are. Low fumes would also be good.

Thanks for your help.
Hey fred, my friend has recently put bamboo doors/facings in his laundry and they look great! You can see them on his blog, about halfway down this page:

http://www.*.com/f176/icf-extension-project-76617/index9.html

He's used vertical/horizontal bamboo. This is not as hardy as strandwoven bamboo (strandwoven has a much higher Janka hardness rating) however, for a vertical surface I think it would be more than sufficient. Vertical/horizontal bamboo was used for some time as a flooring material, however, mostly strandwoven is used now for floors because it's less prone to damage from high heels etc - but a floor is punished a lot harder than a kitchen cabinet!!
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

12/01/2024
Overhead cupboards.

Building A New House

Hi, Can anyone give me approx. price for overhead cupboards. TIA

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum