Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Help re good bright under cupboard lights

Page 1 of 1
Need urgent advice re under cupboard lighting.

We've been undecided on choice of under cupboard lights - looked at LED strip lighting etc, but decided we like the intensity of separate under bench down lights to bring out the 'sparkle' in our granite bench top.

Electrician has wired for 5 individual small undercupboard wall mounted lights.

Question is - are there any reasonably priced LEDs that will the job, and where can I buy them? Or do I need to stay with halogen down lights ~20-30 watt - builder doesn't want to put in halogen because he says they will be too hot.
Hettich sign LED lights are what I recommend for task lighting.
they are very bright, easy to install and not too badly priced.
They come in sets of up to 3 per transformer, but you can install 2 sets to get your 5 lights.
The sparkie only has to put in a switch and run that to power points in the ceiling and then the cabinet maker will run the lights and wires up to this point. No need for a sparkie to wire them up.
chippy

I've seen these in a store - they're excellent, very bright.
We are getting some German LEDs that are IP65 (I think; can be used in shower) that are bright, much brighter than the usual strips, and come with an integrated heat sink. Cost was about $100 per metre, excluding transformers.

What we are doing is to have the cupboard doors overhand the bottom edge of the cupboard, leaving a space for finger hold to open the cupboard and also enough space for the LED strip, then a false bottom where the wires can be concealed back to the transformer in a cupboard.

That way everything is low profiled and concealed. Was looking at T5 fluorescent lights, but they were bulkier.
chippy
they are very bright, easy to install and not too badly priced.
They come in sets of up to 3 per transformer, but you can install 2 sets to get your 5 lights.
The sparkie only has to put in a switch and run that to power points in the ceiling and then the cabinet maker will run the lights and wires up to this point. No need for a sparkie to wire them up.

Thank Chippy - this sounds exactly what I need.

*** How much do you think they are ?? - I can't get local price easily googling.
*** Do you know where is the best and cheapest place I can get them from?

Yesterday I found a similar Task brand 1x3watt LED in Home of Lights for $40 each light which looks similar and will probably do the trick if the Hettich Sign LED lights are more than $50-60 each.

The plan is for 5 pools of light under the bench reflecting off the glass splashback.
(Might also look get strip LEDs along the back underside of the cupboards like PHL is doing to have an alternative look when the atmosphere suits
)
The Hettich lights are available from the Hettich store in your location.
They have showrooms in each state so you can go and have a look at them in operation.
As far as pricing I'd imaging they would retail for around the $150 mark for 3 lights and transformer. You may also need to buy the extension cables if the lights are further apart than their supplied leads (or just cut the existing lead and join in some extra cable, it's only low voltage).
I'm basing that on the trade price, so you may even be able to get a better price when you speak with them.
Hi Chippy

Got the Hettich lights- very bright, thanks! Now need to figure out how to dim them as I see they are dimmable.

Must I get a special dimmer, or can my electrician use a standard dimmer?

Also, as these lights are 2.3 watts each, I think one 15 watt driver should be fine to control 5 lights, leaving 1 light to use elsewhere with the other driver ( as they come in a pack of 3 including the driver ). Is that right?
Good to hear! I've always found them to be some of the brightest out there.
All my clients that have requested lights have been very impressed with them.
As far as a dimmer goes I've never actually bothered to dim them, just on and off. Your sparky should know if you need a leading edge or trailing edge dimmer. I know it depends on the type of transformer.
As regards running 5 lights off the one transformer once again I'd check with your sparky. I usually just run 3 lights per transformer but I'm sure you'd be fine with more.
Related
3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum