Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Advice setting oven/stove into old fireplace please?

Page 1 of 1
We are about to commence renovations to our farm kitchen. It currently has an old wood stove set into a large fireplace. The plan is to remove it and replace it with an electric stove. Now my husband and I can't agree on either having a freestanding oven in the old fireplace and tiling the inside or having the oven and hotplates set into a cabinet and the cabinet placed into the fireplace. Has anyone done something similar and have some advice?
This is what I had in mind http://www.kitchens.com/photos/old-worl ... earth.aspx
I really like what they've done in that picture.
Years ago we put a normal upright stove into a small fireplace where there'd been an old wood stove (nothing at all as elegant as in your picture). We had the stove just sitting there for a while but I always found it a pain because there was nowhere to put utensils - spoons etc, or anything else that you might want to be using at the stove at the time. We ended up having something made to fit and fill in each side of the stove so that I had a little bit of 'bench' space each side of the stove.
Thanks for your reply miss_ticky. I didn't even consider how anoying that would be. I am totally going to need some bench space on the side of the oven for the utensils when cooking. Very good point. So looks like it will be a Cabinet for sure. I'm even thinking I'll have a wall oven on another wall and only the hotplates in the old fire place.
Olly...I'm sure it will look lovely whichever way you go

Another thing that came to mind....if you're using an existing fireplace check how high the top of the opening is. We had to have some stone taken out to raise the height so you could actually stand there and stir a pot without hitting your head every time.
Related
18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

23/02/2024
Smooth out / remove slate tile fireplace

Renovation + Home Improvement

I would probably render it and then paint it as per your other advice, or gyrpock over the top.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum