Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Distance of sink from bench edge

Page 2 of 2
The installer came back today to fix a plumbing leak, so I asked him if he had ever previously installed a sink 21cm from the edge of the bench, and he said 'no', but that this is because it is very unusual to put a sink in the corner. He said that the 3D picture clearly showed the sink that far from the edge (centered in the corner area), and that as a builder he always goes by the picture. Probably explains why he also installed the rangehood in the wrong position - according to the 3D picture rather than the specifications.
Specification and drawing dimensions take precedence over picture.

In fact, drawing invariably have a note to not scale from drawings but use provided dimensions.
Does the "3D" illustration specify dimensions for the placement of the sink and rangehood?

If not then it is not a valid reference for installation if more accurate drawings i.e. dimensioned elevations or plans were available.

This excuse sounds like a cop out.

Yes corner sinks are "unusual" (less common) these days but this is all the more reason to double check and consult with the client if necessary.

Cheers,

Earl
No dimensions or numbers in the 3D picture at all - in fact, when I personally referred to this picture on a previous occasion, telling them something else had been done incorrectly, the company director told me the picture was for illustration purposes only, and refused to take any responsibility for that error. So I can't believe the installer is now using the same picture to defend his action regarding the sink.

As for the rangehood, it was re-installed because I could prove it was installed contrary to the specifications; but of course, this wasn't done properly either.
He used an internal shelf as the base of the cabinet, which was smaller than the original base - meaning I now have a 74cm long hole in the bottom of the cabinet, hidden behind the rangehood (I discovered this just before Christmas). I told him this is unacceptable, so I'm waiting to find out what (if anything) they will do about this too. Suffice it to say, I'm documenting all these things in case legal action is necessary.
Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone is interested (and because it somehow helps me cope a little better with the situation).

The sink was one of a number of faults. Although the company and installer refused to do anything about the sink, they repeatedly assured me that they would re-supply the necessary parts to fix two other problems. After months of empty promises and inaction, I submitted a complaint to the Qld Office of Fair Trading (OFT). They contacted the company director and asked him to do something - apparently the OFT can't do more than this. His answer was 'no', and that was that.

This week the company ceased trading 'for financial reasons'. Perhaps this is because others have had similar experiences to mine, and have been demanding that their faults be corrected. It's been very interesting to read other recent reviews about this company.

I sought advice through a community legal service, and it appears I have two options. I could try to pursue the company through QCAT (Qld Civil & Administrative Tribunal) but this could take months and there's no guarantee of compensation, particularly if the company no longer 'exists'. The second option, recommended by the lawyer (for sanity reasons) - walk away from the fight, lick my wounds, and pay another company (about $4000) to correct the faults - at least then I might have a finished kitchen before the year ends. It just doesn't seem fair, but I guess, as Derryn Hinch used to say, that's life...
At least that company that did you the dis-service went bust. Hopefully that will be a lesson to other companies to look after their customers, which is the reason for them being there, or, ... well ... not being there.
Related
21/01/2024
Ceiling insulation batts distance

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Found the answer. The recommended distance is ....

11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum