Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Freestanding 900mm cooker or built in?

Page 1 of 1
Forgive me, this is my first topic, and not up on all the technology, but we have an option of having our gas oven/stove freestanding or separate and built into the kitchen.

Is there advantages or disadvantages of either?

Thanks!
I think it mainly effects the look.

If you want it to be a feature that draws attention then a free standing cooker would look more impressive.

Sometimes you have to for go functionality when getting a free stander though.

Having them separate means you can mix models if you wish or even brands(apparently a no no for some odd reason)

I think a lot of people want the big oven but not necessarily the big cook top, for Us it was the opposite.

Personally I don't like low mounted ovens(have a 2yr with mile long arms) so we got a 900mm cook top and wall mounted the oven out of reach of kiddies.

The best thing you can do is look at the features of the individual component that make up the cooker and compare them to separate items.

If you can't get everything you want in a freestanding, don't settle and get them individually.
I prefer to use seperate oven and cook top. I think it looks better that way and its more hygenic.
With a free standing stove the benchtop has a small gap on either side where it meets the stone and rubish allways gets caught!
i've got seperate cooktop and 2 wall oven.

1 reason was that there will always be gap between your kitchen bench and up-right cooker, i can't imagine how it can be clean frequently to get all the food out from those tiny space.

I had the wall oven install on the middle row of cabinet so the kids (if we are ever going to have one) won't be able to reach it, but i forgot the height of my gf.
The only advantage of a freestanding cooker is in Countries like the UK where people take their cooker when they move house.

I think built in looks more classy.
Our freestanding cooker has silicone between the bench and it to stop crumbs etc going down. The builder said to cut it with a stanley knife if the cooker has to be moved. Its a very tight fit, not much could get down there.
Related
25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

3/02/2024
Cooker now power after boil over

Kitchen Appliances

get an electrician to check and repair before you kill yourself

25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum