Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

What Ever Happened to Colour?

Page 1 of 1
As I have said in my previous posts we have been through almost every display home from Newcastle down to Michinbury.

Something I have noticed from the display homes and from other posts here is that the majority of homes these days are all decorated with neutral coloured kitchens. Is this for resale do you think or because they are considered "safe"?

As we are building a home which will never be sold (unless we suddenly were to become bankrupt!) I am looking at having a colour scheme in my kitchen of something along the lines of aqua benchtop and white (or timber) cupboards.

This is the benchtop so far I have taken a strong liking to http://www.austaron.com.au/colors/sanded.html# in the Seafoam.

But it is really hard to find displays (or materials for that matter) that aren't in shades of anything other then brown / cream / white / grey!

Has anyone else chosen a colour for their kitchen?
kyton
As I have said in my previous posts we have been through almost every display home from Newcastle down to Michinbury.

Something I have noticed from the display homes and from other posts here is that the majority of homes these days are all decorated with neutral coloured kitchens. Is this for resale do you think or because they are considered "safe"?

As we are building a home which will never be sold (unless we suddenly were to become bankrupt!) I am looking at having a colour scheme in my kitchen of something along the lines of aqua benchtop and white (or timber) cupboards.

This is the benchtop so far I have taken a strong liking to http://www.austaron.com.au/colors/sanded.html# in the Seafoam.

But it is really hard to find displays (or materials for that matter) that aren't in shades of anything other then brown / cream / white / grey!

Well said Kyton…..

I’m over it all……it’s been the same colour schemes now for a good three years!

BRING BACK COLOUR I SAY!!

I like what you have chosen…very fresh!
Hi I saw this house recently on realestate.com.au that has a kitchen and colour scheme similar to your colour choices.

Hope you can see it (i dont know how to create a link so here is the web address!)

agents.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/cs/run.pl?_t=Details&_c=RHQ&id=104502965&code=70623934&time=1201744896&f=20&p=10&tot=51&t=res&st_Agent=XRHCAL
Ive had a kitchen similar to yours before

if you like those colours go for it I say

yep brown is very popular particularly in tile shops!
I saw a fantastic kitchen in a showroom recently with a mixture of white and pale pastel green cabinet doors. It was a galley style, which helped make it work: white central under-bench cupboards punctuated at each end with tall green cabinets. Combined with pale blonde timber floors and a cool white caesarstone bench it looked so clean and fresh.

It had a crisp modern look, but those green cupboard doors evoked an almost 1950s feel.

But from a practical perspective, introducing colour with paint on the walls is an alternative option to cupboards and benchtops… and would be easier to change if needed.
kyton

Hey ...
... brown is the new black. Plus it goes with every dirty coloured smudge and grease mark, so only minimal cleaning is required

But to be honest I agree. I wanted to paint our house bright red or purple but received no encouragement from members of this forum or family, so went for safe, boring ole mocha

My prediction: purple paisley wallpaper will be the next trend (reminds me of my childhood). My mum wallpapered the whole house: we had a large print purple wallpapered toilet, green floral papered kitchen, ivory textured wallpaper in the hallway and my bedroom was ... wait for it ... wallpapered large orange cabbage flowers with dark brown lace curtains AND bedspread. Yep... bring back the 70's.

I still can't bring myself to wallpaper any of our walls in the new house.
Bring it on!!!

Dare to be different!
Where have I heard that before?

Ash.
Bring on some colour.! I have to agree everything(internet, display homes etc) and everyone I know always pick the cautious neutral colour schemes. Brown, Cream, White, Grey, Black and I to have been sucked in to this. Picking colours based on being neutral and plain for the resale instead of about your personality and your home.

Well I have all the plain, neutral colours in my home but I needed to add some of our firey in your face full of life personality back into our home. So we have picked a red splashback and some red paintings and maybe even a red wall. Most people believe it just to bright our red splashback (not in yet just off sample) and wouldnt pick it so it has been hard to do and I may hate it but there is just not us stamped on this house yet. I just hope for the best.
Law18
So we have picked a red splashback and some red paintings and maybe even a red wall.

We are also going for a red splash to jazz up the neutral tones.

Pick your red walls judiciously.... we painted our bedroom wall bright red and it hurt my eyes in the mornings
. Not a restful colour and all the white walls looked pink (reflection). It even changed the look of our skin
DeeElle
and my bedroom was ... wait for it ... wallpapered large orange cabbage flowers with dark brown lace curtains AND bedspread.

I'd hate to wake up with a hangover in that room
Cathski
DeeElle
and my bedroom was ... wait for it ... wallpapered large orange cabbage flowers with dark brown lace curtains AND bedspread.

I'd hate to wake up with a hangover in that room

lol ... i believe visitors would say that quite often
Related
8/06/2023
Paint colour help please

General Discussion

Thankyou so much 😀 I've decided on White on white for doors and trims, White on white 50% on ceiling and Mt buller for walls. Fingers crossed it will look OK 😀

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum