Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Column on island bench

Page 1 of 1
Wanted to get people's opinions. Looking at sone 2 storey plans. There is 1 that we are thinking but it has a column sticking up from the island bench. Apparently it is a structural column for upstairs slab. Apparently can't be moved. Unfortunately there is no photo so can't visualize if it would distract from the otherwise open space area.

Anyone with something like this.
Friends of ours have a column jutting out of the corner of their L shape island bench. They knocked down back wall and extended AND built upstairs and this panel needed to stay for structural reasons. Theirs is about..... 1 metre wide(????). But they actually cut a hole in it (rectangle, length-ways) so that you can see through it and the it's not one solid panel blocking the way. They painted it a feature colour. All in all, it looks great.

Having said that, theirs is still in a position that really isn't central to the room or blocking any major areas (it does block some, hence them cutting the gap in it). So if the structure you are looking at really blocks say they main area between kitchen and dining or living and acts as a 'wall', then you would need to think hard about if it will affect the flow/feeling/layout.

Good luck.
Our house has a pier at the end of our island bench that supports the upper slab. I actually like the fact that the kitchen isn't just open at that end as you walk through the house.
The kitchen is still nice and open but has some good seperation from the areas you walk through.
Thanks all,

cant wait to see your updates chippy. Slightly off topic but are you aware of any perth builders using bondek for their suspended slabs
Related
7/05/2023
Facade column size (350 or 470mm) , Rendering or Stone or Ti

Building A New House

Dear Members I have to decide the Facade column size. My custom builder standard is 350mm with rendering, but i asked for 470mm plus stone or tiles and yet to get…

7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum