Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Push to Open drawers AND soft close hinges

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

This may be a silly question but can you have push to open (Tip On) drawers in a kitchen as well as the soft close hinges? Or, if you want the soft close and no handles, do you need to go with the angled top where you insert the tips of your fingers and pull?

Many thanks

Loretta
loretta
Hi All

This may be a silly question but can you have push to open (Tip On) drawers in a kitchen as well as the soft close hinges? Or, if you want the soft close and no handles, do you need to go with the angled top where you insert the tips of your fingers and pull?

Many thanks

Loretta

You can have both without an issue. The runners and hinges are totally seperate so you can do what ever you want.

If you want no handles you can use push to open doors. Very easy and no need for finger pulls!
Or go all out and get the Blum Servodrive for softclose drawers. Its a system that senses your touch and mechanically pushes the drawer open. Very High Tech.
And very expensive.
Hi Loretta, haven't seen you on H1 for a long time & have been wondering what you were up to. I just checked out your blog wow it has been a long build but worth as it is a spectacular house in a great location!! When do you think it will be finished, it looks close. Congrats on your baby. . . a year late, should have followed your blog!!

Loretta
Hi Loretta

I have been lurking, just not posting! I guess it has taken so long i figured no one would be at all interested any more!!

Your place looks fabulous. I am just dreaming of when we can finally get in.

And I would LOVE to go for the servodrive but just can't see that in the budget
Hi Loretta! I'm still interested in your build too
Will go and check out your blog
If you have push to open (P2O) drawers you can't have soft close as well. It 's one or the other.
The physics don't allow it. When you push close the drawer (the operative word being push) you are essentially setting the spring mechanism that allows the drawer to spring open when you push or touch it - or P2O it. If it were a soft close as well there would not be enough energy to cause the P2O mechanism to set itself.

We have the Blum P2O system - drawers are handle-less - just touch them and they spring open. Love it.

The other benefit is that all your drawer fronts are un-blemished with handles - a very clean and neat kitchen profile. Easy to clean because no handles in the way.
And you can do all your cupboards the same way.

Incidentally it is not really a push but only a gentle touch to close the drawer.

barkly
Hi, Does anyone know where I can by push to open and soft close items (Blum do not sell direct to public nor do I have the money)?
Tim I'm having a guess but thought Ikea sold the mechanisms
thanks I found them at ikea
Related
8/02/2024
Offset Hinges

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, I had already tried searching those. In the end I am fabricating my own.

18/01/2024
Soft clay in footing

Landscape & Garden Design

I've dug some footings to embed a post anchor into. My holes are around 450mm deep which I'll put a 200mm stirrup into. The bottom of these holes seem firm enough. …

27/04/2024
750mm wide joinery - drawers?

General Discussion

Pulse is correct. It's the trap that takes up space. The plan shows a vessel style basin so you don't have to worry about a basin inset, it's just the trap that the…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum