Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

For those who have timber flooring in the kitchen

Page 1 of 2
For those who have timber flooring in the kitchen. Was your floor done first or was the kitchen. I your floor was done first, do you have timber all the way underneath your cabinets?
Hi blueblueblue,
I have spotted gum timber floor & it was installed before the kitchen, therefore is under the cabinets.
Mine was done after my kitchen was installed. I have pics of the beading they put around the cabinets if you want to see. My sister didn't like the beading so had hers done before, but it doesn't bother me. It's the same wood as the floors so it blends in
My flooring went in first. Didn't go all the way through under the wall benches (these were placed over the timber and skirting boards applied). Flooring when all the way under the island bench. No beading required anywhere.
I too had floorboards down first and no beading! Timber under all my cabinets!
My parents renovated their house. They created a new kitchen in where the dining room was, and that was fully floorboards, so yes, cabinets built over the top
brb_654

same here
donuts
brb_654

same here

Me too! Makes it easier to put in a completely different kitchen layout in the future, plus it just looks better IMHO!
So I'm the odd one out! How did everyone get their builders to let the tradies on site to lay the boards first? Or did you get it done through the builders?
Thanks eveone for your replies. I'm not a fan of "beadin" so will have the flooring installed before the kitchen goes in.
Rizzo
So I'm the odd one out! How did everyone get their builders to let the tradies on site to lay the boards first? Or did you get it done through the builders?

We got ours done thru the builder
donuts
Rizzo

Ahh, o.k. Our builder would have charged us an absolute fortune to get it done through them, so we had it done after.
I always try to encourage people to get the floors (whether tiles or timber) put in first for all of the reasons discussed above - we also find that the kitchens often suffer damage to the kicks and stone waterfalls when flooring is fitted after the kitchen is installed.

Cheers,

Earl
donuts
Rizzo

Yep, same!!
Our kitchen went in first, however the builder left of the kick boards and then put these in after the flooring went down so no beading and wood looks like it is completely under the cabinets. The flooring was organised by the builder.
I assume these are wood flooring onto concrete? If so, does the weight of kitchen benches etc impact on the flooring? Things such as Caesarstone ain't light.
yes, mine is wood floor nailed and glued to the concrete. as far as I know, it's all fine to have the heavy cabinets & ceasarstone sitting on top of it, it never got raised as an issue and we haven't had any issues with it in over 2 years. I'm not sure how it could be an issue though? the weight of the stone is quite evenly distributed across a large area of floor, and supported also by the cabinetry.
We are having solid timber in our new home & it is being laid before the kitchen installation. My builder said that it will look better as it will avoid the need for beading but I'm not sure if that is the only reason?
Ours is a timber floor on yellow tongue particleboard flooring as our house is elevated on posts. Our benchtops are Laminex Freestyle which may not be quite as heavy as stone but would be close, I imagine. FWIW our builder arranged the installation of the timber floors like the others who had it installed before the kitchen. It was actually our kitchen that we got done 'outside' the building contract but our builder had no dramas letting the cabinetmakers in.
just Erin
My parents renovated their house. They created a new kitchen in where the dining room was, and that was fully floorboards, so yes, cabinets built over the top

Erin,

Are there any gaps between the floor boards and the kickboards of the cabinets?

Sarah
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

8/02/2024
Survey for those who built recently, building now or soon

Building A New House

https://form.jotform.com/240284569218058 Please spare a moment to fill out this survey form for a project. You stand a chance to win a digital gift voucher. Legitimate…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum