Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

curious kitchen bin question

Page 1 of 2
So I was wondering... what type of kitchen bins do you all have?

We used to just use a good old Willow flip top bin until we had children.... then we changed over to using a tiny (shopping bag size) flip lid bin that sat on the counter top in the corner as the kids would 'post' their toys (and anything lse they could fin) into the bin or seemd to have a fascination in general with the bin!

As we build our new house now, I wonder if I should get one of those pull out bins that sit in your kitchen drawer
http://www.buildinganewhome.com.au/wp-c ... drawer.jpg

But having a small bin I do like the fact that rubbish...esp stinky scraps... don't get left ****** around very long in the bottom of your bin.

What do you all have?
We did have a bin in the cupboard with a lid that opened when you opened the cupboard. It was okay but the inside of the door got messy and needed cleaning regularly and the lid and bin also needed cleaning. We are now in a rental property and have a large bucket (was full of rose fertiliser) under the sink which we put a large plastic bag in and it works perfectly. We are not planning on spending $$ on a fancy bin as what we have now works perfectly! If we have any stinky bits we take them out to the bin straightaway rather than leave them in the kitchen bin.
We just had ours installed and I love it. It is a pull out one on our island. It is so easy to put scraps in it without dripping/dropping on the floor. It is very big though 35l. Our bin bags wouldn't fit it and because I didn't have any larger ones I have just put the old bins inside the new bins and this is working well. In fact I think it is better this way as it looks like it would be a bit fiddly pushing the side of the bags down. Mind you it is so handy I would put up with it. Now that our room is open planned I really didn't want to see the bin from the lounge!

There is also a shelf above which is great for your cardboard and papers.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/ ... d05bfe.jpg
Hope that helps.
donnam
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/donnam1712/87d05bfe.jpg
Hope that helps.

Are we playing spot the bin?
ours is under the sink, opens when the door opens. Not sure how good it will be. I really wanted one of the big pull out ones but wasn't willing to sacrifice cupboard space
LOL. I am at the end of my garbage bags so may try the bigger ones LOL
in my previous kitchen i had one of those that when you open the door the bin opens- actually worked really well the bn was right there to scrape scaps into etc without having to open lids pull out drawrs etc. the door sometimes got a bit messy but so does the area around pull out bins as well. in having the same type of bin in my new kitchen.
Donnam - where are we looking?
whoops I thought Casa2 was laughing at my bin in the bin!
try this
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q89/ ... 9d07e6.jpg
I have one of those willow bullet bin things. I think I want to get an under sink one though... I hate having the bin out on display. Under sink/in cupboard is so much tidier.
donnam
try this

I have the exact same pull out bin. I like it. I use large garbage bags as liners.

Oh, and regarding your bin in a bin
I have 2 pull out bins under the sink. They are the right size to use a normal shopping bag in. I love having the
bin hidden away. works well.
I have a stainless steel bin from Aldi (that I got free from my parents as it wouldn't fit their cupboard- score!). The bin comes out (attached to the door when you open it) and the lid stays inside the cupboard then when you close the door the lid goes on to the bin. Also there's enough room at the back of the cupboard for me to fit a plastic bin from Ikea which I use for my recycling.

I haven't noticed any problems with smell and there's only me in my house so the bin gets emptied only once per week. I do use those scented garbage bags (orange, mmmm) which I think help with any odour there may be.

I agree with the others; you don't want a massive garbage bin that starts to compost (and smell) because stuff in it sits there for so long but you also don't want to be emptying your bin constantly. I guess it might be a case of trial and error. Certainly my recycling bin is much larger than my garbage bin.

Good luck
Casa2
donnam
try this

I have the exact same pull out bin. I like it. I use large garbage bags as liners.

Oh, and regarding your bin in a bin

Casa - I'm thinking of getting the same bins and was just wondering if it is tricky fitting the bin liners in the bins?
It's a little tricky fitting the liners in that they need to be tucked over and down so not to catch. Only takes a second or two.
We have a square stainless bin that lives in our walk in pantry. Out sight - especially for little 1yr olds who like to grab things out to munch on LOL.
I love love love our pull out double bin.
It is emptied every one or two days and does not smell.
I can wipe the bench directly into the bin

because it is at the top of the drawer, mess is minimised.
babies and toddlers cant get to it, but older kids can easily put thier rubbish in the bin...
I copied this from my aunty it was my second priority for our new kitchen after room for a dishwasher.
So new question.... how much did you pull out drawer bins cost? I had my kitchen appt today and was told $400!!!!!
Something like that but given it is probably the most used thing totally worth it.
agree with Leni and others about the pullout drawer bin. you would be surprised how much bins cost, and they dont hold that much stuff. The double bin drawer is a better solution.
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum