Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Dumb question re splashback

Page 1 of 1
i'm new to all this renovating stuff, so have a stupid question. We are getting a new kitchen (yeah) and hubbie wants a glass splash (no tiles b/c i'm a way messy cook).
Qn is - is a glass splashback clear glass (then painted behind?) or tinted glass? then i see posts that mention starfire glass - is this different?

thanks!
kel72
i'm new to all this renovating stuff, so have a stupid question. We are getting a new kitchen (yeah) and hubbie wants a glass splash (no tiles b/c i'm a way messy cook).
Qn is - is a glass splashback clear glass (then painted behind?) or tinted glass? then i see posts that mention starfire glass - is this different?

thanks!

I believe it's just clear glass painted behind. I know when I did the colour selection for mine, they just gave me the Dulux colour charts.
Starfire glass is completely clear glass, so if you're having a light coloured splashback, the end result should be quite true to the sample colour you choose. If you dont specify 'starfire' you may end up with glass that has a natural green tinge, therefore your light colour may appear not as you want it to.

We had starfire as our splashback is quite a light grey, and we didn't want a green tinge.
Hi
Glass splashbacks are always painted on the back. Starfire is a proprietary name for an iron-free glass, as normal float glass contains iron and iron gives it the green tint, (try looking along the edge of a glass shelf in a store).

The green tint would hardly be visible in dark colours, but quite visible in light colours as the light passes through the glass and is reflected back through again, so it gets tinted twice.

Ed
thanks so much for that!

now another question, in people's experience is it easy / hard to keep clean - my guess is its going to be painful, but i really don't know?
Windex and microfibre cloths work a treat.
kel72
thanks so much for that!

now another question, in people's experience is it easy / hard to keep clean - my guess is its going to be painful, but i really don't know?

I MUCH prefer to clean one solid flat piece of glass, rather than many tiles with grout in between! It's soooo easy! I usually use metho in water in a spray bottle and an old T-towel. If it gets a bit greasy from 'splatter', I'll use the kitchen sponge in hot water and dishwashing liquid first, then go over with the metho/water.
ed @ EcoClassic
Hi
Glass splashbacks are always painted on the back. Starfire is a proprietary name for an iron-free glass, as normal float glass contains iron and iron gives it the green tint, (try looking along the edge of a glass shelf in a store).

The green tint would hardly be visible in dark colours, but quite visible in light colours as the light passes through the glass and is reflected back through again, so it gets tinted twice.

Ed

is the starfire more expensive?
Normally Starfire glass is slightly more expensive.
kel72
ed @ EcoClassic
Hi

Ed

is the starfire more expensive?

Yes, it costs about $1/m2 extra to make but they charge much more... see if you can buy a generic one... iron-free glass
Ed
Related
31/01/2024
Enclosing the space above kitchen cabinets question

Kitchen Corner

You can really use anything you want the main consideration would be how it looks once painted/finished - or the look you want. Cabinetmakers use MDF because its cheap…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum