Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Under-cabinet lighting

Page 1 of 1
Do you have lights under your overhead cupboards? What sort of lighting is it? Are fittings flush with the ca inef or do they stick out at all? Bow long is the surface and how many lights have you got?
I have halogen downlights set flush into the cabinet (though there is a shelf inside the cabinet that hides the tops of the fittings. Over a 3m span consisting of 1m bench, 90cm range, 1m bench - in each 1m bench span I have 2 downlights - probably overkill but it matches the 2 downlights in the rangehood.

You need special downlights for cupboards - you can't simply using the ceiling ones.
Thanks for thAt sc!

So there are two layers On the bottom of your overheads, one standard and another to cover the light fittings, right?
Any chance of seeing a night pic of your lights on?
blueblueblue
Thanks for thAt sc!

So there are two layers On the bottom of your overheads, one standard and another to cover the light fittings, right?
Any chance of seeing a night pic of your lights on?

if the lights are not fitted inside as the above you should consider lights with built in transformers such as the Ikea ones yet they need source of electricity which comes from a powerpoint if you hate running cables under your cupboard then should get an electrician to chase the wall under the cabinets (however if you have an existing splashback then it is not possible unless you want to break and replace it)and drill through the cabinet to install a box powerpoint
Grinder, what lights/method do you recommend for brand new kitchens (if that makes any difference)?
blueblueblue
Grinder, what lights/method do you recommend for brand new kitchens (if that makes any difference)?

blueblueblue
Any typ eof lighting and there a lots of them that can be plugged into a powerpoint inside the cupboard they either be externally mounted or internally mounted although internally mounted need to have good insulation as the surroundings inside the cupboard gets too hot. Besides if anyone has downlights switched for more than 10 minutes then that person should consider changing the lighting system in the kitchen.
grinder
Besides if anyone has downlights switched for more than 10 minutes then that person should consider changing the lighting system in the kitchen.

Thanks for that grinder. Does the same Apply if I use cfl or LED lamps?
Hmm im in the middle of making the same decision. We want to have 4 built into our overhead cupboards
I thought LEDs were cooler temperature wise then halogen but i dont know anywhere i can find slimline LED lights for this purpose.. Maybe my sparkie can help
DawnDrifter
Hmm im in the middle of making the same decision. We want to have 4 built into our overhead cupboards
I thought LEDs were cooler temperature wise then halogen but i dont know anywhere i can find slimline LED lights for this purpose.. Maybe my sparkie can help

Try Ikea.com.au/lighting. I was looking at them yesterday.
DawnDrifter

I suggest using a search engine to search on LED strip light. There are ultrathin products available from within Australia and overseas. You can buy components and clip them together. See this post, and despite its title, follow the posts by zx9 and how he/she changed from looking for under cabinet fluoros to buying and install LEDs. This post also has examples and photos.
I'm just about to install some led lights in my pantry cupboard.
I got one of the following for each shelf. these seem to be plenty bright enough for a 1.5 meter wide pantry and are using less than 200 milliwatts each strip.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/smd-12-led ... -12v-10293

and also the following for power.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ac-to-dc-1 ... 240v-15992
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15992

The plan is to add in a circuit that switches it off if the door is not closed within 5 minutes so will make up a circuit for that myself, but there should be some off the shelf timers around.
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum