Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

flat pack kitchen

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

The next project on the to do list is the kitchen reno. Because we don't plan on being in this place for more than about 5 years we are going flat pack. So I would love to see pictures, and hear other peoples expirience with diy bunnings, ikea, mitre 10 etc. kitchens.

thanks
If you do a search in the kitchen section you will see many many threads on flatpaks.
we have a rental property & have just put in a new kitchen by mitre 10. its looks fantastic. it isnt finished yet - need to put oven & rangehood & finish of tiling/splashback however what's up so far looks great.

hubby isnt a handyman so whilst he's doing okay - it has been a bit time consuming. if you're a good handyman (or woman!) then I would highly recommend it b/c it looks great & you have quite a few options to choose from.

we found mitre 10 to be cheaper than ikea & bunnings.
search.php?keywords=flat+pack&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=16&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Here is a link to some of the threads. Happy searching......

(PS we have installed 3 flat packs over the years - dead easy - and about to do another one however this one will be as a desk / drawer set up in the kids' toyroom.)
our laundry was a bunnings flat pack
I've done an IKEA island high gloss white and was great quality, metal draws and barely and pre-drilled holes. Very heavy duty and takes about 3 people to move. Still holding up strong.

Also recently built a high gloss Bunnies kitchen for a rental, instructions were all over the shop but easy to put together. Some little things would probably make me spend a little more next time but just little things that did my head in. Such as the little plastic inserts for holes where screws needed to attach in to were quite loose on some so just had to super glue in. Also some hinges would pop out under load. But bang for buck quite good all round for a rental.

A mate had just done a complete IKEA kitchen and their design help and overall quality would probably give the nod to IKEA next time I do one.
I would not if you have a solid brick wall all other is fine
But as already mentioned there is outlet in Moorabbin and Tom Amstrong in QLD (delivers anywhere in Australia). One thing though is best to gut the kitchen completely and talk to sparkies and plumbers think of the appliances you are going to buy/change/add taking budget for modifications and the estimate kitchen costs time and labour costs. Compare this to some other benchmarks like cabinet makers and kitchen design firms

Moorabbin
873 Nepean Highway
Moorabbin Vic 3189
Phone: 03 95765577
Fax: 03 95765599
moorabbin@kitset.com.au
Thanks for your help. We ended up going to mitre 10 today and got the kitchen cabinets
we chose gloss white doors. Fingers crossed we have measured the kitchen properly!
We have had a very disappointing and expensive excercise with flat packs from "Readykit".
Beware of the problem that there are NO hinge holes in the doors. It was hardly "ready"!
That part of the fitting video has also been poorly removed.
To have someone come and do them is an extra cost....A big one not bargained on!
Nor was it explained to us at time of purchase from "Supply" in Devonport Tasmania.
Impossible for a layman to do successfully.
After that, we decided to get a quote on build and fit (to our own design) a complete kitchen and it actually worked out a lot cheaper than getting another ******* flatpack.
There are lots of kitchen mobs around nowadays and the prices have come down considerably.
Hope this helps.
where abouts are you located?

I have found a bit of variance but i am surprised to hear that there where not hinge holes in the doors! One place i have used in the past the only hole you had to drill was to install was the door handle ever other thing was pre drilled.
rjm
After that, we decided to get a quote on build and fit (to our own design) a complete kitchen and it actually worked out a lot cheaper than getting another ******* flatpack.
There are lots of kitchen mobs around nowadays and the prices have come down considerably.
Hope this helps.

There are also a lot of flatpack kitchen companies that do good packs, at a reasonable price and don't play tricks such as what you encountered. Haven't done a kitchen as yet, but have used the company below for wardrobe inserts and found them to be top notch. Interestingly they talk about hinges etc and leave it up to the customer to decide if they want pre-drilled or left as is. I would only use a company like this if I knew exactly what I was doing though. That is I knew what I wanted and how it would all fit together.

http://www.cabinetsondemand.com.au/
Related
26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum